Getting connected with ups cargo pilots

Good morning,

As I roll into pilot school I wanted to see if anyone knew any pilots flying cargo. I want to get their advice on steps into getting to that sector. Regional pilots have a clear step by step trajectory, but I do not see that for cargo pilots. (UPS cargo pilots preferably).

Donovan,

As I said in your other post, the path is just as clear except instead of applying to Delta or United, you apply to UPS.

They all jabs the same requirements.

Adam

Donovan,

The path to UPS is the same as a path to any other major carrier. You need to get all your ratings, build time to ATP mins, get hired to a regional airline to build part 121 turbine time, upgrade and then build turbine PIC time as a captain.

FedEx currently requires a minimum of 500 turbine PIC time. I imagine UPS has similar minimums.

UPS may have a “purple runway” type pathway program like FedEx but that is simply one path. Going the regional route is most common.

Hannah

Donovan,

I wasn’t able to find a “pathway” to UPS, but FedEx does have one called the Purple Runway (view link below):

http://www.fedexpurplerunway.com/

Here is some quick information on the United Parcel Service (UPS) airline:

No matter the company, you will still need to meet ATP minimums, and primarily need more multi time than a regional airline pilot training. Review the Purple Runway for a summary of qualifications FedEx requires for their pathway, I’m sure UPS is not far behind FedEx with qualifications (for main cargo operations). I don’t know how valid this site is, but this was quick information I found for UPS hiring:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-61/subpart-G/section-61.159

Brady

Hello to everyone again a special warm Hi to Adam.
Finally after two years at the age of 39 I got my commercial pilot license with 420 hours of flight time
Meaning, reaching to beginning of the end and what I mean I have 1100 to go now my question is that those airlines and regionals do they care how individuals they get their flight times because I am taking a different and times two faster route to get my hours
I just got hired for Traffic Watch and I’m gonna be flying minimum of six hours a day five days a week
I have heard airlines and regionals. They like to see some Cfi time. Also if they see someone who got the hours by instruction or someone who did Traffic Watch is it true that they prefer to hire the person who did Cfi job to get the hours???
I mean, based on my own experience, must’ve Cfi’s they just stay in pattern or just go to practice area and do stuff over and over again with all the respect by doing Traffic Watch job it sounds easy but there is lots of different airspace , transition and the communication for this job it’s never been easy so please Pilot mentors advise me if this information is true because I’m not getting younger anymore and I have spendso do much money to get to this point
Thank you, everyone

Warm hi back at ya Mehdi,

Right now the Regionals are hiring everyone with 1500hrs and a pulse so no, they really don’t care how you build your time. You will get an interview and you will get hired. That’s the easy part.

My caveat is while getting hired is easy these days, successfully passing training is not. When you go to airline newhire training the instruction will focus on transitioning to turbine aircraft and the airlines SOPs. They will not train you to be a pilot and they fully expect you to be a VERY experienced and competent instrument pilot. Traffic watch will not reinforce or hone your instrument skills. Its strictly VFR flying. Now, am I saying don’t take the gig? No. What I am saying is you need to be aware of what’s expected of you and more important make sure you’re ready when you show up for training. How you do that is up to you but it’s critical. You need to find a way to remain and remain proficient with your instrument flying skills. Don’t and all your have is a great story about how you were hired and were almost an airline pilot.

Adam

Mehdi,

I do not think it really matters how you build your time. Just be sure to keep up on your instrument skills. This is where a CFI job is beneficial, especially a II job. But if you can practice your instrument work here and there, you should be fine.

Chris

Mehdi,

I have seen first officers in my hiring class with all kinds of experience: banner towing, pipeline patrol, military, CFI. The common theme here, everyone’s experience is unique and provides different challenges. Granted the most common way to build time is CFI, instructing is not for everyone, and some take different avenues. I would say as long as you’re keeping your instrument skills proficient and safe, you should have no issues.

Brady

Thank you everyone for reaching back to me, I will definitely maintain instrument Flying rules.
I appreciate you all

Mehdi,

Anytime, that is what we are here for. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

1 Like