Getting into a major without a degree?

Chris, y u gotta flex on us like that? Lol

1 Like

Just the facts.

United Airlines. Check out the profiles section, all of our bio information is there.

Yaksh,

I’m willing to bet it’s been there longer than you have! :wink:

Adam

Yaksh,

It’s definitely convenient but know you’d need to build the required 1500hrs and be eligible for your ATP before going to one of United’s Regional partners long before going to United.

You should take a look at our FAQ section as that will answer and explain many aspects of the job and the process.

Adam

That would be pretty cool but wouldn’t that just be a “restricted ATP?” Because if not then that would kinda stink for those who start at a young age. Even though theyll have 1,000 hrs, theoretically they won’t be old enough to to hold a full ATP because that requires to be 23 right? And because of that they’ll still have to wait. I think that IF the FAA was to do that then it would turn it from waiting on hours to waiting on age. Just me speculating. I feel like I’m thinking too deep into stuff like I always do :joy:

Not going to happen. They created a few cut outs but otherwise you’ve got some really strong lobbying against it.

Adam

Al,

The 1,500 hour rule isn’t going anywhere and quite frankly, you shouldn’t want it to. The rule has driven a huge increase in regional airline pay, that you will benefit from. Not to mention the fact that the US has not seen a fatal passenger airline crash since the rule was implemented.

Chris

Well said Chris,

We actually went over the accident that caused the FAA to increase the TT to 1,500 hrs in my accident investigation class yesterday. I too don’t think that the rule is going anywhere hence the “IF” that I put in my post. Sometimes us Mellenials like to either look too far ahead, or want things to come as easily and as fast as possible. And some may have both ways of thinking. I have a problem with thinking too far ahead and planning too much instead of just focusing on the present. As good as planning can be, we have to be real with ourselves and say what if I don’t make it as a pilot. I wanted to do this since I was 7 but this business as professional as it is, is also very competitive. Nothing is guaranteed which is why I and others did not get an “all eggs in one basket” aviation degree with a minor also in aviation. I actually like this because it makes being a pilot that much more rewarding if you make it.

I made the varsity football team as a freshman and maintained varsity status all the way until my junior year (then I quit to stay healthy because as much as I love it, football isn’t my life). Year after year my coach would treat every player as if we were a walk on. We had to earn a starting spot every single season even if we played in earlier seasons. And the culture that he set was the same as this industry which is that nothing is guaranteed. He didn’t judge us from our past games or season’s success but from our performance right then and there. I am grateful for that because now I embrace that same mentality.

My dad and I were talking the other day and I was talking to him about my flight training so far and he asked me how many hours I have so far. I told him and said, “still to a little ways to go.” He responded by saying, “you know son, just as it takes time for wine to become good to the public, the same principle applies to a pilot. No matter how bad you want it you can’t rush the process. If places were to start selling the wine without the proper time, the overall quality of it will diminish. Same with pilots.” We laughed because I told him that it was funny that he used wine as an example since none of us drink :joy:. But on a serious note he was spot on.

Sorry for the long rant and mini biography of myself but just kinda typed what came in my head. I also really appreciate the mentors and other successful pilots in this forum for taking the time to give advice and answer some painfully repetitive questions. And also to snatch us by the ear when we get too far ahead of ourselves :joy::joy::joy:.

2 Likes

Hey Adam, my names tom. I read this entire thread and I hope you still get notifications for it. Thanks for the valuable information by the way.

I’m 26, I’ll be 27 in February. I’m from Nassau county on long island. Not too far from where you grew up. I did an intro flight a little over a month ago and I can not stop thinking about flying. As a career I know it’s what I want. You’ve mentioned a couple times in this thread that if for example, someone like myself were to want to make it to the majors. The best likely route would be to get a job at a regional and work on getting a degree at the same time. I know this may sound stupid, but what degree specifically?

And also, would an online degree suffice?

Thomas,

Not stupid at all and this is a very common question. Right, wrong or otherwise the Majors desire/prefer a degree. The good news is they really don’t care what your field of study is (it literally could be in modern dance) and yes online is fine. It simply must be from a reputable, legitimate school.

Adam

1 Like

Thomas,

It is very feasible to work on a degree while flying for the regionals, many before you have done it. I would simply pick which ever degree you can get the most credits for and go from there. While we generally do not recommend aviation degrees, many colleges will give you credits for your flight training, which makes them attractive in this instance.

Chris

I currently have an associates degree in business administration, it is only a 2 year degree. Would a bachelors degree look much better?

And another quick question, I cant seem to find anywhere on the forums what a week in atp would look like. Like how many hours a week would I be spending flying and on the ground there. I currently own a dessert business and im there full time so I need to figure out my next best move. Im fully aware that I wouldn’t be able to be full time and be in flight training at the same time. But maybe I could find a balance without dissolving or selling my business entirely.

Thomas,

There have in fact been many threads on the subject and the answer is there really isn’t a typical day. Depending on the phase, weather and where you are program wise you may be flying early, may be late, may be a really long 12hr day or a short 3hrs. You may be flying for 2 weeks during crew or shipped off to another location for CFI school.

No one can stop you from trying to work but either your pilot training, your business or both will suffer. If you start busting checkrides you could be asked to leave and it could impact your entire career. If your business needs more of your time and you can’t it will suffer. This is why it’s STRONGLY recommended that ATP students do not work.

Adam

I will take what you said into account moving forward. When I choose to enter flight school whether it be ATP or not I know I have to be ready to be 100% invested or not. Thanks again Adam for taking your time to read and answer my questions you have been very helpful.

Thomas,

Think of an associate’s degree as a half way there certificate to an undergraduate degree. In other words, you will need the full four year degree.

It would be tough to be involved in the business at all and still attend ATP, or any other full time flight school. I think that at the end of the day, one of them is going to suffer. I know it is tough, but at some point you will really need to cast off the old life and take the leap forward to join this career.

Chris

Hello Chris and Adam,

My name is Jack and I’m currently a high school student. I’m fascinated by aviation and I want to become an airline pilot! Here is my “plan” and can you tell me if this is realistic…

1. Graduate high school while having a PPL from a local flight school.

2. Go to ATP and complete their 6 month program.

3. Become a flight instructor to get the necessary hours.

4. Get a job at a regional.

5. Get an online bachelor’s degree while working for a regional.

6. Graduate from online and move to a major’s.

So once again, is this plan realistic or should I reconsider some parts?

Thanks,
Jack

Jack,

This plan that you’ve laid out has been suggested to many others on this forum. Though we recommend obtaining a 4-year degree before flight training, this alternative plan is just fine.

Don’t forget you’ll need a PPL plus 78 hours total time.

Tory

Jack,

As Tory said there’s nothing wrong with your plan. I only offer one caveat. Many people find completing a 4yr degree while flying for a Regional challenging. While you’ll definitely have the time, it requires a fair amount of discipline to not go “play” when you’re not working. You have to do an honest assessment of yourself and should make a decision based on that.

Adam

If I were you, I’d knock out as much college credit as you can during high school via dual enrollment and AP test credit. Your plan is fine but you’ll be stuck waiting around for a year or more to go to the regionals because of your age. If I were you, I’d knock out a year of college before you graduate, finish up your Associates in 1 year. Start ATP credit for private at 19 and qualify for the regionals right before you turn 21. And now you only have about a year of online classes left to finish up. Definitely the most efficient. Otherwise you’ll waste over a year just sitting around waiting to grow older.

1 Like