Getting private pilot license

Hello! I’m in the starting gate to get my career started as a pilot! I’m currently 25 and Working on getting my private pilot license and was just curious on what training and hours I need to get my private license?

Michael,

You say you’re working on getting your Private license which implies you’ve started. I would ask your current instructor and flight school you’re training with. Regardless I recommend you visit our FAQ section as there’s a ton of great information there.

The short answer is the FAA minimum is 40hrs but the average is about 60.

Adam

I’m currently trying to get my money saved to pay for it. I don’t have an instructor yet. Thank you for the information!

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I do believe if you reference the 14 CFR Part 61, it will tell you what your requirements are. I just recently started studying for the FAA knowledge test. I’m looking at starting my PPL training this spring through my local Aero Club. Though just like Adam said, ask your IPs they should point you in the right direction, at the very least tell which publications and regulations to reference.

v/r
Harley

To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:

(a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or balloon.

(b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.

© Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant’s pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person’s home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.

(e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.105(b) of this part.

(f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.

(g) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought before applying for the practical test.

(h) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought.

(i) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

(j) Hold a U.S. student pilot certificate, sport pilot certificate, or recreational pilot certificate.

Total Time: MINIMUM 40 hours minimum which consists of at least:
National Average is around 60-70

Dual: 20 hours minimum of flight training with an instructor on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:

1. 3 hours of cross country flight training in a single engine airplane;
  2. 3 hours of night flight training in a single engine airplane, that includes at least:
    a) 1 cross country flight of over 100 nm total distance; and
    b) 10 T/O’s and 10 landings to a full stop with each involving a flight in the traffic pattern at an airport.
  3. 3 hours of flight training by reference to instruments in a single engine airplane; and
  4. 3 hours of flight training in a single engine airplane within the 60 days prior to the practical test.

Solo: 10 hours minimum of solo flying in a single engine airplane on the Private Pilot areas of operation including:

1. 5 hours of solo cross country flying;
  2. 1 solo cross country flight of at least 150nm total distance with full stop landings at 3 points and one segment of at least 50nm between T/O and landings; and
  3. 3 T/O’s and landings to a full stop at an airport with an operating control tower.

I would point out that almost nobody gets their private license in the minimum time. Sure, there are some out there that do, but not many. I would say the average is around 60 hours.

Thank you! I definitely wanna do everything that I need to do to not only get it but also know all the know everything very well! I’m happy to put in as much time as I need to get closer to my dream of being a full time pilot for a living!