Getting started?

Hello,
My names Daniel, i am currently enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. I am a F-35B Airframe mechanic on MCAS Yuma, Az. I was wondering if anyone on here was/is in the military and completed they’re training while being in. If so was it difficult with the few hours we have off? How long did it take you to complete the training? Would you recommend doing while being active duty? Etc. As you can see from the career path i chose with the military, i love Aviation. I always have. I’m trying to figure out if this is a goal that is possible to complete while being active duty. My goal is to be able to fly with an airline when i get out. I figure if i work on them all the time, why not fly them as well.

Daniel,

None of the mentors on here were ever in the military, but hopefully some military folks will chime in. What I have seen from most career switchers, military and civilian, is that it is best to take a few months off work, or quit work and go to training for a few months, to go to an accelerated flight training program. Flying everyday is a far better way to learn that once or twice per week and will actually save you money in the long run.

Chris

Daniel,

I don’t know anyone that has attempted to complete flight training through a civilian flight school while active duty. I know one pilot that completed his training at ATP while on Reserve and another who is currently receiving training through the Navy.

You said it yourself, active duty offers very little time off. Best you wait until you’re on Reserve.

Tory