Gloves allowed while flying?

Hello everybody-

My admissions flight is scheduled for next weekend in Hartford CT, and I’ve been wondering if gloves were allowed while flying or if that was a no-go.

I drove for UPS in the past, and was asked not to wear gloves when I took my test drive with them, so I thought maybe the same rules applied while flying.

Anyway, anyone on the east coast knows how cold it gets in the winter, so I’d like to use ‘em if I can, but just wanted to see if anyone knew the rules and regs where gloves were concerned. Did some poking around online and couldn’t find anything definitive so figured I’d ask here.

Happy holidays everyone!

Malikai,

There are no rules against it to my knowledge and I’ve known a pilot or 2 who have worn them.

The caveat is you will be known as the “glove guy” and subject to some ridicule.

Adam

1 Like

Malikai,

I have never flown with gloves on, but I have used some when I preflight the plane, especially in these single and low double-digit temperatures.

Brady

Hahaha!

Thanks for the honest feedback, Adam. Now I’ve got some thinking to do…

From-

The potential glove guy.

Good to know. Thank you for the info.

Malikai,

Preflighting an airplane especially up in the northeast? Absolutely, gloves will be a must. However, once you’re in the airplane and the engine is running the heater is surprisingly good. You shouldn’t need them.

It could make the grip on the yoke or throttles a bit slick but there is no rule against wearing them!

Hannah

I thought grip might be the main concern which is why I was unsure.

Thanks Hannah, I appreciate your response.

Malikai,

I do not know of any rules against them, but I think you might have a hard time actuating some of the smaller buttons in the cockpits. I would recommend against it.

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

I had my admissions flight yesterday, and was glad to have had my gloves for the pre-flight, but @Hannah 's assurance that temps inside the aircraft were surprisingly warm couldn’t have been more spot on.

My instructor told me it was around -5 degrees F at ~5000 ft, but I was sweltering behind the controls! Once we were in the air, there was definitely no need for gloves. And what a thrill the intro flight was. A once in a lifetime experience and a highlight of my 27 years so far.

Thanks again, everybody.

Malikai,

I am glad the flight went well.

Flying by no means needs to be a once in a lifetime experience. Some of us get paid to do it every time we come to work :slight_smile:

Let us know how else we can help you along the way.

Chris

1 Like

Malikai,

Sounds like you had a good flight and tour!

I’ve always been fond of how the heat in the Piper Archers are, it works really well. I haven’t really flown much in a Cessna Skyhawk lately to know if the heater compares. :wink:

What is your next step in the process?

Brady

No plans for it to be a one-off here! Getting paid to fly sounds good to me… If all goes well I’ll be a part of that club in a few years.

@Brady , I’ll have to get in an Archer to let you know how it compares, but I’ll keep you posted haha. Next steps for me: completing the written tests before my start date, finding a co-signer for the Sallie Mae loan and then scheduling my medical. Luckily, I’m obligated to remain in Vermont until April, so I have a few months to get that all ironed out before I move to CT and begin my schooling. Other than that, my plans are to keep asking you guys any questions that arise between now and then to keep learning from the pros :call_me_hand:.

Thanks again guys and safe flying.

Glad you had fun and yes gloves are great for winter walkarounds.

Only warning is when you’re checking fuel and it drips on the gloves and you’re inhaling fumes the rest of the day. But no worries, you’ll figure it out.

Adam

Malikai,

Glad to hear your intro flight was both warm and memorable!

Absolutely apply for financing first, as that is the biggest hurdle for most. Once that’s secured, the first class medical should be a relatively quick and easy last step to secure your class date.

Please feel free to continue to chime in here with questions along the way!

Hannah

I applied in November :woozy_face:. Just been trying to find a co-signer for the remaining 3/4 of the tuition I need the loan to cover. An ongoing process but I’m getting close.