Going for it

Hi All.
I’ve had my ppl since 2005 and after a lot of contemplation decided it is time to go for it and change careers and do what I love! As of yesterday I started training for my instrument cert my end goal is the airlines. I’ve done construction since I was 16 yrs old. I’ve owned my own Construction company since 2003 and have been successful at doing what I know. However I’ve been flying model airplanes since I was a kid, been a ppl since 2005, I’m currently finishing up a Vans rv9 that I started building in 2005. I’m 37 yrs old, I love aviation, always have and now I want to fly for a living. This website has helped me tremendously to make my final decision. I know it’s going to take a lot of hard work and dedication from me. I don’t have a degree but I am going to start once I get a little farther along with my flight training. Money is not the issue to get my training. I’m planning on flying as much every wk as I can. I want to have my commercial and cfii by the end of this yr. and after that it’s instructing and building my time. Thankyou to all the folks that are a part of this forum. Aviation has one of the most badass crowds that I know of!!! Cheers all!!

Dale

Dale,

Don’t forget you’re going to want to get your multi and build some multi time in there as well as that’s a requirement for your ATP and therefore airline employment.

As for “badass” you obviously don’t know many pilots, the term nerd is used much more frequently :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Adam
Yes I did not include multi engine but I do know that I need that as well. I wish I had the time to go to an ATP school right now, but I have to be relatively close to run my construction company. I know that it will take a few yrs longer to get the required hrs that I need but I’m ok with that. I want my construction company to be something that I can fall back on if my airline career does not work out.

I like the aviation community in general. So if “nerd” is what pilots are…I will be a nerd!!!:grinning:

Dale

1 Like

Dale,

I am glad that you decided to jump into the career. It will take you significantly longer going the route that you have chosen, but you seem okay with that. I would also point out that it might be very difficult to effectively run a construction company while also spending so much time on the road as a pilot.

Chris