Going to Flight School While in The Army Reserves

Currently I am serving in the Army Reserves and would like to know if I would be able to have time off ,while in the flight program, to go and drill once a month. Also, would I be able to use the GI bill to help pay my way through?

DO NOT use your GI bill for flight training unless you are in college and it comes with a degree.

The VA limits you to about 13k a year and you can only use it AFTER you get your private pilots license.

If you want to stay in the army id suggest you switch to NG and go to college and get them to pay for it so you dont have to touch it; then they are legally required to let you drill AND resume schooling.

1 Like

Duncan,

Admissions has the best answer to your question. I know of one pilot that completed the program while in the reserves, but this was 5 years ago and he was also a commercial helicopter pilot. I imagine Admissions decides on a case-by-case basis. Give them a call tomorrow.

I wouldn’t use your GI bill if you attend ATP. The only thing you will be able to use it for is examiner fees and written tests.

Tory

1 Like

You might be able to use tuition assistance (for accredited schools with flight component). You can also look into on-base flight clubs. Probably not likely with Army :slight_smile: but maybe a nearby air force base will take pity on you.

1 Like

Air Force reservist here. My experience has been that ATP has been very accommodating to my reserve career. In fact, I was recently selected for an active duty Air Command and Staff College course (10+ months) and ATP is going to simply pause my training for my active duty and resume once I’m back. They’ve even been working with me to accelerate my timeline to the extent possible to try to get as much done as possible before my military tour.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds pretty good actually, thanks for that. Also, congratulations on your selection!

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

thanks and no worries

1 Like

Were you able to complete the full Airline Career Pilot program while being in the reserves? I’m about to separate from active duty and would definitely enlist in the reserves if it was possible to do both at the same time.

You’ll have to talk to your leadership. My supervisor and commander were ok with me doing the training as long as I come back and do my drills after flight training is complete.

The thing to keep in mind is what if you were deployed during your training? That could be a serious setback to your training as you would likely be very rusty when you came back. Hopefully that won’t happen, but it is something to consider.

This was my scenario. 13 months out of the cockpit for Reserve duty and thrust right into Comm Single. A lot of extra work to get ready but I passed, so it can be done!

I was out for. 7 months and thrown into CFI :stuck_out_tongue:

Woah that’s rough! haha