GPA & Bachelor's Degree

Hello all,

I have recently decided that I want to enroll in flight school to realize my dream of becoming a pilot. Before that, I have been going to college for Computer Science and, to say the least, have not earned stellar grades. My current GPA is around a 2.3 with more than 80 credit hours completed – I believed at first to have a passion for programming but I have realized that’s not the case, hence my grades. Furthermore, I have not finished my degree, and while I have the opportunity to finish, I would really like to get involved with flight school as soon as possible.

My question to you is, what are my chances to get a career in this field with my GPA as low as it is? I’ve heard that graduating ATP is no walk in the park, and I am prepared to give it my all, as this is something I know I want to do. I have also heard that a career with the Majors (my ultimate goal) requires a bachelor’s degree, is this true? If so, I reckon that finishing my degree is a required first step before even thinking about a job with the Majors. This would also give me an opportunity to raise my GPA in preparation for what lies ahead. But like I said, computer science is not my passion and I would like to start flight training as soon as possible.

To reiterate, what are my chances like getting a career in this field with my current 2.3 GPA, and do I need a bachelor’s degree to succeed?

Thank you all,
Matt

Matthew,

Yes, you need a degree. See the FAQ section.

Airlines aren’t taking GPAs into account right now. They haven’t been for several years. The regionals will hire anyone with the ratings and the hours. With your GPA as it is, if you established yourself well enough at a regional, I see no reason for you to not get hired at a major.

Tory

Matt,

You will need a bachelor’s degree to fly for the majors and a 2.3 will not cut it. I would strive for a 3.0 as a minimum. I recommend switching majors to something you are interested in and finishing up your degree. I know you want to fly, but it is just easier to finish college first, then focus on flying.

If you do want to start flying sooner, you could quit school, get your licenses and flight time, be hired by an airline and then finish a degree online. This path is arguably more difficult, but it would get you to an airplane more quickly.

Chris

Matt,

As the others have said you do want a degree if you’re going to be successful in this industry. Personally I was never asked about my GPA but I know some airlines care. I’d be more concerned with your ability to be successful at ATP and eventually the airlines if a 2.3 is all you can achieve. As enjoyable as flying is there are bound to be sections of the training you won’t feel passionate about and if that will cause you to put in less effort you frankly won’t make it. This is a huge commitment and I’d make sure you’re up for the challenge.

Adam

Chris, you say that a 2.3 won’t cut it, whereas Tory says that airlines do not check for GPA. I’ve decided to finish my degree, which also gives me an opportunity to raise my GPA, but doubtfully to a 3.0. Of course I will do my best for the sake of becoming a pilot, but which is it? Do they or do they not look at GPA as a consideration? Or does it vary from airline to airline?

Thanks again.

Edit: thanks for your input Adam, I didn’t see it before sending this post.

Matt,

Chris was asked what his GPA was when he was hired at Continental, but times have changed. Regional airlines don’t ask anymore. I don’t think the majors will ask either. Can’t say for certain. You can read their hiring minimums and none that I’ve seen mention anything about a GPA.

Tory

Matthew,

Apparently it varies by airline, I was always asked about my GPA and had to provide a certified copy of my transcript to Continental.

Chris