Ground Instructor, AGI, IGI

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this question, but how does one become a ground instructor, advanced ground instructor, or instrument ground instructor? Is there any online program that can be used to earn them? I know it requires a knowledge test. I do not plan on becoming a CFI or CFII or MEI at this time.


You take the either the IGI or AGI AND the FOI FAA Knowledge Exams, fill out a form 8710, march into your local FSDO and they’ll issue you the certificate.

Easiest cert you’ll ever get.


1 Like

What is form 8710?

It’s the same form you fill out for every check ride.


FWIW, at least some FSDOs don’t let you go in for your certs any more. I had to make an appointment with a DPE. $40 and I was out. My FSDO is San Antonio.

1 Like

Can confirm. Additional cash stream for DPEs in Central FL as well. Some do it for free. Some charge $100 for their sign-off.

Sergey, where are you in Central Florida?

Do we need to talk to a DPE though for GI? I heard that we do not

The DPE isn’t testing you, he/she is just doing the paperwork that the FSDO used to do. San Antonio won’t do GI certs at all any more. Some offices suggest using a DPE for expediency.