Ground school?

Hey y’all. Is ground school a must to earn your PPL? You’re already spending hundreds on study material for the FAA exam. How much is ground school?

Grant,

If you go by the actual reg the answer is no BUT it is highly recommended. Yes you may be spending some money (also not a requirement) for a PPL prep course but it sure is nice to have as actual person to clarify some things and answer questions. Additionally you may believe you’re just going to jump in an airpane and fly and I’m certain there are plenty of instructors who would love to do that with you. They can build more time while wasting yours explaining things in the airplane but of course the meter is running and you’ll be paying alot more than any ground school would cost. You also need an endorsement from a CFI to take the flight test and I don’t know any who would sign you off without making sure you’re ready for an oral exam.

As for cost ATP includes ground school in the price of tuition. If you’re planning on going elsewhere you’d have to ask them.

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks alot. So there is one oral exam and one written exam to pass in order to earn your PPL?

Grant

Grant,

To earn your PPL there is a written exam, an oral exam and of course a practical exam in the airplane.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Right, the checkride, which also costs some money. I’m assuming the oral exam costs money too or no?

Grant

Grant,

The oral exam is part of the checkride and is included in the same fee.

Chris