"Guaranteed Instructor Job"

Hello all, I’ve been very interested in becoming an airline pilot the past few years, always been fascinated with it since I was a child but never thought it was an option.

I’m now 25 and trying to decide whether or not taking out a 90k loan is going to be the best idea. I’m willing to drop everything and put in 110% and constant studying every day as well, so as long as I am able to pick it up well (which I’m sure I can) o don’t see the classes being the issue. My concerns lie with the debt. ATP says that an instructor job is guaranteed, but 73k seems a little high for the pay, I’m concerned with being able to pay rent after the classes as well as the new loan debt, and also, with new students coming in also being offered the guaranteed position that leans me to believe I may be pushed out after a year due to too many new instructors, leaving me stuck with only half the hours I need for an airline job.

Any info on this sort of thing would be appreciated, I’m just not 100% sure how all of that adds up, the guaranteed jobs, the pay rates, new students also getting the jobs.

1 Like

Louis,

The only piece I can speak to is the part of them hiring too many instructors and forcing you out. I have never heard of or seen them do that. In fact, I think the contrary is more true. ATP is currently over-saturated with instructors, as of last week there were zero openings nationwide, and there is currently a waiting list of 40-50 students waiting for offers. Hopefully that clears up soon, but it’s definitely more responsible on ATP’s part to pump the proverbial brakes for a couple weeks rather than over-hire and reduce everyone else’s hours to nothing.

Louis,

You will not be forced out as an ATP instructor as long as your are doing your job well. Keep in mind that many people chose not to instruct at ATP and instead work for different flight schools, fly sky divers, tow banners, etc. While there seems to be an excess of people wanting to instruct at ATP right now, that will probably return to normal in the next few weeks.

ATP’s CFI pay can be found here: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/guaranteed-cfi-job.html I would recommend estimating your pay off of 80 hours per month.

I know you say that you do not see learning to fly being an issue, but if you have not done so already, you need to take an introductory flight. It is one thing to think you like flying, it is quite another to actually sit at the controls of a small airplane and actually do so.

Chris

Louis,

A couple of things. As the others have said, ATP has been in business for over 30yrs and I’ve never heard of anyone getting pushed out. Fired for not performing
certainly but never pushed out. Also as Chris said not everyone accepts the position. Many find other jobs and since the guarantee does not guarantee location many choose to take instructor jobs closer to home.

Not sure where you got the $73k figure but you’ll probably be making half of that instructing. On a positive note Tuition Reimbursement is available should you accept an offer from one of ATPs Regional partners. As far as paying rent etc. no one but you knows your expenses and it will most definitely require some sacrifice on your part. ATP has placed close to 700 pilots with the airlines in the last 12 mos alone and they all had to make some adjustments financially but I haven’t heard of any filing for bankruptcy.

I also have to agree with Chris regarding the focus of your concerns. While I appreciate the finances can be a little bit intimidating, the fact is the hard part is the training. Not everyone can or should be a pilot. If you are successful the finances will seem easy by comparison.

Adam

Thank you all for your input, Indeed said it was 73K and I was a bit concerned because that didn’t seem legit at all. However I can definitely work with half of that seeing as how I’m only making 26k right now. Glad to know I was right to assume so, I’m willing to work all day every day to ensure the most hours possible. Also, the jobs are guaranteed Nationwide? Would I be able to wait for an opening at my location? Or is it a, “there’s a job here” and if I don’t take it then the offer is off the table?

I believe the instructor position you saw on indeed were for 2 year CFIs at the CFI academy location.

Louis,

As you’re approaching the end of your training you’ll be presented with a list of available locations. If there’s one that works great. If there isn’t you can either take one of the available and request the one you want and if a) it opens and b) you’re next in line you get it. If not you’ll continue to wait but no ATP will not allow you to wait around any real period of time.

As most people are anxious to start building time and the fact these are perishable skills most people either take a offered location or pass and find something nearby.

Adam

I would be very anxious to start building time but they can’t really expect people to move halfway across the country can they?

Louis,

Adam laid it out perfectly and clearly; yes they can expect that, as the guaranteed instructor position has absolutely no ties to it as far as location. The position is just that, a position teaching with ATP (which could be at any of their locations nationwide.)

As Adam said, they will give you a list of open locations upon program completion (nationwide). You are free to accept the position and choose a location of your liking (which may or may not be the location you want), or you may choose to seek employment outside of ATP that is more amenable to your liking.

Louis,

That may be the only option when it comes time for you to select a location. Remember, you are not obligated to accept the position. You can teach at other schools nearby if none of the locations work with your situation.

Tory

Another thing, say I decided to pick up my family and move across the country, would ATP count as a job for places that I’d be renting from, no one will let you rent from them if you don’t have a job, ya know. Would ATP give me a letter stating I’m guaranteed employment for so many years or something.

Louis,

ATP doesn’t expect you to do anything. They offer you the available opportunities and the decision is yours. My question is what do you expect them to do? Overload a location with instructors so no one builds time? Or maybe they should force students who just paid $90k to your location so there’s enough?

The fact is ATP works very hard to make sure every instructor has the opportunity to build their hours in a timely fashion. To do this there’s literally no way they could guarantee someone a location. Unless of course they take your suggestion and start booting instructors out, but I’m thinking most instructors wouldn’t like that?

Adam

Louis,

ATP could perhaps provide you with a letter saying you’re an independent contractor working for them. I’ve never seen any employer writing a letter guaranteeing employment for any period of time nor a landlord asking for one.

Adam

Louis,

So many variables influence training center availability. The list is updated daily, sometimes more. While ATP would love to have every successful CFI work for them, not all do and they know that. The best ATP can offer is the position, not the location. If they guaranteed the location some locations would become over saturated while others left neglected. ATP needs to maintain a balance across all 38 locations. When it comes time to select a location, you can accept or decline.

Are there other schools nearby that you could use as a backup?

Tory