Headsets

If I remember correctly the A20’s also have a removable cord which can be swapped out if you don’t like using adapters, but it’s pricey, in the $200 range for a new cord/controller box.

I agree with Adam 110%, having things IN my ears for an extended length of time drives me crazy (3 years working part time as a live sound/recording engineer), and although I’ve only used A20’s a couple times the ANR never bothered me (although they get pretty loud if you shut off the ANR or run out of battery!).

Tucker,

The answer is yes they must be by regulation TSO’d. Is anyone checking? Well… A while back when I was at ExpressJet a lot of guys had the non-aviation Bose Quiet Comfort with this mic you could plug in (saved them a ton). Unfortunately they weren’t TSO’d, the company started doing inspections and quite a few guys got “written up”. (Note* Regional pilots who aspire to be Major pilots should avoid getting written up).

James,

That’s why a) the light starts flashing and b) you ALWAYS have batteries in your flight case.

Adam

I didn’t know there was a flashing light, my DC’s don’t have that issue! My last instructor has had to change his batteries once or twice shortly after plugging in though. :laughing:

I think I am going to go with:

https://www.clarityaloft.com/products/the-pro-aviation-headset

30 day money back so I’ll give it a shot and if they aren’t working out I will go with the Bose. I just like the idea of not having somthing clamping my head.

As I said many guys swear by them. Let us know how they work out for you?

Adam

Will do!

Thomas,

One of the good things (or bad depending on your take?) about Bose is they don’t allow their authorized dealers to discount their headsets. You may be able to find a few places online that offer “gifts” or coupons with the purchase but you generally won’t find them cheaper one place vs another so do whatever is easiest for you.

Adam

Depending on where you live, it can be cheaper online. I bought my headset, not the Bose, from a Authroized Retalier on Amazon and did not have to pay tax on it, so it saved me around $50 doing it that way vs through the headset manufacturer.

The Clarity Aloft Pro Plus is top notch. Very comfotable, lightweight, you can barley tell it on your head. It takes a little getting used to have the tips in your ears. I was actually very surprised by how much noise it does block out, better than my previous headset. Two things that are sorta annoying is that the box with the volume control on it so very low on the cord and hangs in an inconvient spot for the plane I fly so your leg keeps pressing against it, and you have to buy new foam tips. In theory a year supply should run you about $25, so really not too bad, neither is a huge issue. I’d say compared to the Bose they are very close In sound reduction but I think they take the cake with comfort. I will be keeping these and plan on using them for years to come.

1 Like

Does a new student need to come to ATP with their own headsets or does the school have some one can use?

Keep in mind you do not need to go for an expensive headset right away, there are cheaper options and once you get to the airlines I believe they all have them in the planes for pilots to use, most just like having their own and to get one that it certified it’s gonna be a little more expensive. The first headset I had for my private was $90 dollars and got me through my private and first 80 hours but was not the quietest or most comfortable, but it got the job done.

Steve,

You will need to provide your own headsets, there are some good threads on here discussing the pros and cons of various models.

Chris

Check out eBay. You can buy used and refurbished headsets on there for considerably less than new price. Some of the refurbished offer better warranties than the same headset new. I just bought a David Clark H10-13.4 for $140. New retail price is $325.

As I said I’ve been a fan for years and think they’re well worth the investment (and I’m kinda cheap). Speaking of which, Happy Birthday but I hope you’re not asking me to buy them! :slight_smile:

Adam

Thomas,

Read your statement carefully. “The FAA only permits…, but Bose has worked around this”.
Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Let me add to this. ATP trains people to be professional pilots. As such there is no place for music in any ATP aircraft.

In my humble opinion, listening to music while flying is a great way to end up in the side of a mountain. Flying is highly demanding and can easily kill you. I would not ever take the chance of purposely distracting myself from the task at hand.

The primary rules of aviation are aviate, navigate, communicate. Nothing else is on that list.

Ommmmmm, it’s ok Adam, go to your happy place. Thomas was only kidding. He’s been on this forum a while now and was just being silly to get you going. Thomas, who has aspirations to be a professional pilot would NEVER seriously consider rocking out while the ink is still wet on his Instrument Rating (or any time after that). Thomas understands the risk involved to himself and others, Thomas understands the responsibility not to mention the simple fact that there’s plenty to keep him busy (if not task saturated). Not just flying the plane but navigating, radio comm, checking weather, keeping track of fuel, monitoring your engines who would ever even joke about listening to music? Certainly not Thomas (or any other person who not only wants to fly BUT who truly wants to be a professional and excel in their field).

Thomas I gotta give you credit, you almost got me to blow a gasket (good one) but then I remembered you’re not one of those peckerheads who’ll be missing radio calls listening to tunes while opening the door and taking a selfie. Thomas is one of the good ones and he knows better. Ommmmmmmmmm :slight_smile:

Adam

PS Thank Chris :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely look on EBay, I bought 2 off of there, one slightly used without Bluetooth, I think the guy said he had used for 3 flights total for $700 and a brand new in the box with the tag still attached Bluetooth version for $850. Just keep looking online everyday and you’ll find one, make sure to get the GA dual plugs one though !!

Concerning BT audio: Those that use Foreflight will appreciate some of the alerts you will receive with a connection to your iPad. There is a “RAAS similar” function as well as ATIS frequency callouts, etc. I know, “a good pilot will already be on top of it”. There’s still nothing wrong with a bit more situational awareness…

I just received my Bose A20s I bought on E-bay and realized I had bought a set with a single plug. Will I have to try and return this headset or will they work anyways? I believe I’ll be training in the archer mostly.