Health of a pilot

Thanks, Adam; that’s helpful! :slight_smile:

I meant to say “twelve months”. At my airline, once a pilot has gone twelve months past their training expiration date (the nine month check ride cycle that Adam mentioned) then the pilot will go through a full company and aircraft retraining. This does not mean that they start back at pilot training 101, but that they will go through their whole type rating training for the aircraft they fly along with company basic indoctrination training again. This is a good thing as it helps a pilot get back in the saddle.

Ah, thanks, Chris. That makes sense now. :slight_smile:

Hi Adam. I’m considering applying to become an ATP student. However, I’m concerned about exposure to radiation from being at high altitudes. What are your views on the dangers of experiencing radiation at high altitudes for pilots. Also, will sunshades for the airplane windows fully block the UV rays from entering the airplane?

Anthony,

There have been many studies done on the subject and while there no question that being at altitude you will have greater UV exposure, I have not seen any reports showing significant harm (though I’m sure you could find some).

To my knowledge while the sunshades do offer some protection, it’s not much.

Adam

1 Like

Anthony,

There should be more education for the risks of skin cancer in this profession. The shades help but daily application of high SPF sunscreen adds another layer of protection.

With this analysis, 1 hr in flight is equivalent to 20 mins in a tanning bed. So a year flying 750 hours would be the equivalent of 250 hours in a tanning bed. Multiply that over a 30 year career.

Hannah

2 Likes

Anthony,

I guess I am different and perhaps acting out of ignorance, but I have never worried about this. I go to the dermatologist regularly and have never had any issues. It will probably catch up to me someday.

Chris

1 Like

I’ve heard of some pilots wearing sunscreen during their trips, one that just retired actually mentioned it to me. Depends on the person, I guess.

Ben

1 Like

I paddle 5 days a week in the Honolulu sun. If I get the “C” word it won’t be from flying! :grinning:

Adam

1 Like

I try to wear long sleeve shirts when comfortable and apply sunscreen daily before going flying, but that is more of a proactive approach than most pilots I fly with have. Honestly I have only flown with one other guy that was as meticulous about it. And I frankly do it more to avoid uneven UV damage to my face from the sun exposure (sitting on the right side) than out of cancer fears.

1 Like

I have some SPF 50 face sunscreen I apply every morning I’m flying. That paired with sunglasses and sun screens should be decent protection but yearly dermatologists check ups will still be in my future for the next 35 years.

1 Like

Anthony,

I’ve been using a small application of sunscreen on my face and neck to not get burnt since I burn fast in the sun. I don’t think anyone would want a lobster flying a plane… :lobster: :airplane:

Brady

2 Likes

Thank you Adam! I appreciate your answer!

Thank you Brady! I will for sure wear sunscreen when I fly airplanes in the future!

Thank you for your answer Chris! I hope and pray that you will always be strong and healthy!