Height Limits

I am a high school student looking to become an airline pilot. I’m am 6’3 currently. Is that height appropriate for becoming a pilot?

If it were, would you allow that to get in your way?

No problem. There are no height restrictions in civilian aviation (which includes airlines). As long as you can reach the controls, you are fine. Speaking of which, have you flown a small plane before? If not, before you take another step forward, schedule an intro flight (at any school) and let us know how it goes.

Good luck, Gavin!

Tory

3 Likes

Gavin,

I suggest you searching for a “Citation Max” on YouTube, he’s around 6’4" if I remember correctly, flying a CJ3…it is doable.

The only thing I could see uncomfortable is depending on the type of aircraft used for training, you could see difficulties. I am 6’2" and I sat fine in both a Cessna Skyhawk and Piper Archer.

Echoing Tory, take a discovery flight at a local airport and get the feel for what it’s like to be in the cockpit; it’s different then sitting in the back of an Airbus or Boeing going across the country lands.

Brady

3 Likes

Thanks for the guidance. Where do I go to take one of those introductory flights?

1 Like

Any flight school, really. The goal is to just get your feet wet and enjoy the experience. If you love it, then we can talk next steps. Our FAQ section is also a great place to start.

Tory

2 Likes

Gavin,

It might be too tall for the military (double check with them on that), but it is absolutely not too tall for civilian aviation. You might have to find a school with airplanes that can accommodate that height, but I am sure you can do so.

Chris

1 Like

While there is not a limit on this for civilian aviation, there are things that absolutely can prevent people from becoming pilots and there is no way around it.

1 Like

Gavin, 
I don’t believe there is a height limitation with the FAA just so long as you can get full range of motion with the flight controls, it shouldn’t be an issue for civilian aviation. If you are thinking about getting your ratings through ATP, you might want to check with admissions but you should be fine.

“Due to aircraft operational limitations, students taller than 6’3" or weighing more than 250 lbs may be denied training in ATP aircraft. Learn more about.”
Here is the link:
https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/policies.html

-Hannah

1 Like

That seems to be an issue only with ATP flight school, I am 6’6 and my school has had no issues. Currently training in a c172 it’s a little cramped but it works.

1 Like

Victork,

It’s definitely not “only” with ATP. Many flight schools have height and weight restrictions.

Glad you found a school that works for you.

Adam

1 Like

I’m just speaking from personal experience in my state, specifically in NC, I could not find another school that had the same restrictions as ATP. I only weigh 170lbs so I was just surprised by ATP being the only school that I contacted with these restrictions.

1 Like