High School senior looking to become airline pilot

Hello! My name’s Emma and I’m currently a senior in high school (17yrs old) a few days away from graduation. I’ve wanted to become a commercial pilot for quite a few years now, and I had a set plan but am now second-guessing myself. I was planning on obtaining an associate’s degree at a local community college, getting my private license at VNY, and then applying to ATP after graduating.
I have no financial backing, so I am worried about digging myself into a hole with my PPL before even starting at ATP. Would getting my associate’s and applying to ATP without my private license be the better option?
Do you have any other directions as far as acquiring my licenses you would recommend?

Emma,

Totally up to you. We generally only recommend getting your PPL first if you’re not 100% sure you’re ready to commit. While I understand you don’t want to “dig yourself into a hole”, if you’re not certain, better to invest a relatively small amount first.

If however you are ready, I recommend you call admin, tell them you’re plan and make sure you meet the admission requirements without your PPL. You may find out you don’t have a choice.

Adam

Thank you for the response! I’ll be sure to get into contact with Admin.
I appreciate your time!

Emma

Emma,

I agree that you need to speak to admin. Ideally, it is better to do all of your flight training with one school. I would recommend college first, then flight training. Just know that while a two year degree is helpful in regard to getting into ATP, you will eventually want a four year degree when it comes time to apply to the majors.

Chris

I understand. Thank you so much for your help!

Emma