Holiday Pay

I have had friends through the years who have worked in industries where they don’t close on holidays, but the businesses would offer bonus pay if you worked a holiday. Do the airlines do anything like this to incentivize people with higher seniority to bid those days, or do they treat holidays just like any other day?

Jon,

Ain’t no holiday pay for pilots! Just another day. Why would they want to “incentivize people with higher seniority” when they can use perfectly good newbies for cheap? To quote the VP of Flight Ops at the Regional I flew for, “I love the experience the senior pilots have but if I could I’d fire the entire top half of the seniority list and save millions”.

Adam

Jon,

At my airline, every day is just like the next. I could be completely wrong on this, but generally speaking, holiday pay is more for hourly jobs than professional level careers.

Chris

Chris

Absolutely right Chris - my company provided Holiday pay for our hourly associates, however salaried managers are expected to work as and when the business requires as a condition of employment, including holidays. The greater the responsibility, which tends to correlate with seniority, the greater expectation of selfless commitment to the organization.
Overall compensation is greater than hourly employees but calculated at a flat rate not affected by holidays, maximum hours per day or week or similar considerations.

Hey Adam, that quote from the VP of flight ops made me think of something. I’m a bit afraid to ask, but based on that theory of “saving millions,” at what point do airlines trust automation, and eliminate half, or maybe even all of the human pilots? It seems very far away to me, but with Moore’s law sometimes things progress unexpectedly.

Thanks for the replies! That is how I assumed it works, but thought I’d ask just to be sure!

Jason,

This question comes up from time to time and while I’m certain it will happen eventually, technologically we’re not even close (just look at self-driving cars) nor is the public ready. Def someday but not anytime soon.

Adam

1 Like

Jason,

I am not remotely worried about this. They can’t even figure out how to have trains drive themselves, airplanes are a huge leap beyond that.

Chris

2 Likes