Hopeful new pilot

Hi there! My names Cecelia and I’m 27 years old and I hold a bachelors degree. I have been interested in learning to fly for quite some time now and I think I’m at a point in my life where this would be entirely possible to accomplish. My questions are:

1. Would I be able to still work at my job while completing the ATP program or would I have to quit to be able to do the program?
  2. Are there any weight restrictions to being a commercial pilot? I’ve always kind of struggled with my weight and am working crazy hard to lose and maintain and I really don’t want this to be the thing that holds me back from pursuing this.

I really appreciate any insight you guys can give me and am extremely hopeful for the next steps!

Cecelia,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your questions, now let’s get to them:

1. You will not be able to work while enrolled in ATP’s program. The program is highly condensed, it simply does not allow for extra time. All of your available time will be taken with instruction, flying, or studying.
  2. Per se, there is not a weight restriction for the airlines. However, the FAA does have some rules regarding sleep apnea, which can be related to BMI. Also, some cockpits can be rather small, so keep that in mind. ATP does have a weight restriction of 250 pounds.

Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris