How do you pay for your Flight school and Bachelor's degree?

How do you manage to pay for flight school and college at the same time? Since major airlines require a bachelor’s degree.

1 Like

Tho,

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? First, we don’t recommend flight training and college at the same time. It’s best to do them separately. Second, most people finance their flight training. Most also require a co-signer.

Tory

1 Like

Tho,

You don’t. You do one first and then the other. If you’re young we recommend college first, if not it’s the other way around.

Adam

1 Like

Hi,
I want to become an airline pilot. So far i have been researching for flight school and such.
I figured it will be a lot of money since I need to pay for college and then flight school, so I don’t know how to manage that.

1 Like

Tho,

Both college and flight school are considerably large investments, the vast majority of people finance both with student loans. While we do recommend college first, then flight training, it is possible to do both together if you take advantage of ATP’s Flex Track option and combine this with a college that offers credit for flight training. Check out this link for more information: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/college-credit.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf0zMR42BEbY5PcTR7sKpiF-DJtt9y2g5HlI1kLRYcLru4YjcgXBQJRoCXIoQAvD_BwE

As for paying for both, I recommend calling into ATP and asking to speak with Kirk, he is the expert on all such things and is a great resource.

Chris

1 Like

I reached out to an expert on financing and this is what I heard back:

If they are younger than 21 years of age, then a Parent Plus loan is their best option for college typically, where their parent’s credit history is the primary determining factor in the interest rates given and has an in-school deferment option. Those colleges also have access to Federal Student Aid that is need based. Then there are grants, scholarships, and 529 pre-paid college accounts.

If anyone is going to a college, contact the financial aid office with that individual school to learn about options that are available. Those individuals are extremely well versed in making their college programs as affordable as possible.

With ATP, Sallie Mae is the best option for financing due to their deferment period and 15 year loan term as well as the starting interest rate of 1.25%

I would say that because flight training allows for transfer credits to an aviation degree program,they should get flight training done first, then start worrying about college while building to 1500 or even after they get to the Regional level and have secured a seniority number.

3 Likes