How do you remember your call sign?

Hey guys,

Just curious how you remember what flight you are on. For small GA aircraft I can look down at the tail number that’s usually right above the 6 pack but in a new airplane sometimes it takes me a second to realize that ATC is talking to me. If you are doing several legs a day and each leg is a different flight number, how do you keep from messing up the call sign?

Alex

I find the callsign “United” easy enough to remember as it is who I work for. For the flight numbers, mist of the airplanes that I have flown display it digitally somewhere on the FMC, I find that to be sufficient. Some guys/gals write it down on a piece of paper.

Thanks Chris, sorry I had a misunderstanding that call sign included both the airline and the flight number. Glad to hear there’s a reminder somewhere :slight_smile:

What happens for regionals flying for the majors? Does the call sign switch to say Skywest but you keep the same flight number? United 5675 becomes Skywest 5675?

Alex,
Yep the call sign is for the company that’s operating the flight. So Skywest is Skywest 5675, brickyard for republic, bluestreak for PSA…

-Hannah

1 Like

Alex,

I generally write the tail number once on paper and can remember it for the remainder of the flight. I think looking at it, writing it down, and making the initial call to GRD (if towered airport) embeds it into my brain. I also generally try to schedule my students’ flights in the same plane they did the the day before to eliminate the confusion. Sometimes like today I fly 2 different planes back to back.

Chris & Hannah summed it up really well for the Airline side of operations!

Brady

Alex,

Everyone uses a technique that works for them. I usually read the number off the FMS. Others write it down. Others memorize. I know one FO that had also memorized what the next frequency will be. It’s a fun little game he plays. He’ll load the next frequency in the backup before the frequency is issued to him. He’s right about 80% of the time. He’s more accurate if he has done the same trip back to back. Still…I don’t have enough free space available in my brain to memorize that information, but I do admire his…obsession :wink:

Tory

1 Like

Alex,

As the others have said, once you hear your airline call sign your ears will generally perk up. As Tory said everyone has a technique and many planes have a digital display you can scroll or load.

It really shouldn’t be a cause for concern.

Adam

1 Like

Alex,
The CJ3s have a placard right next to the PFD with the tail number on both the Capt and FO sides just like a 172. Makes it easy for us…

-Hannah

1 Like