How old is too old?

Wendell,

At your age, I see no reason why you would not make it to a major if you position yourself well and the current hiring dynamic continues.

Chris

1 Like

Even more limiting age requirements in aviation are Air Traffic Controllers.
Controllers must be hired by age 30 and mandatory retirement at 56.

Thanks Chris

I’m looking forward for that.

Regards

Wendell

Hi Wendel,

I am also brazilian and i live here in the us, i am 36yo and seriously thinking about start at ATP. I would love to speak with you and learn about your experience with ATP
Please send me an email if possible so we can exchange contact
Andregr.ca@gmail.com
Thank you

1 Like

I will be at the tail end of 33, maybe the beginning of 34 when I’m done with training. Will I have a shot at the majors? Also, I’m in the AP3 program with express jet, will that actually help me?

LaMorris,

If you have or obtain a four year degree, and keep your record clean, you should easily have a shot at the majors.

I took a look at the AP3 program, it seems a bit gimmicky to me. Other than a guaranteed job, I don’t see what the program really offers you. Keep in mind that with the industry the way it is now, just about everybody with a clean record is able to get a job at 1,500 hours. The program does offer a pilot mentor, but you have the absolute three best mentors ever right here on www.https://airlinepilot.life :slight_smile:

Chris

I strongly agree lol. You guys are pretty awesome. Thanks

LaMorris

LaMorris,

You’re far from the point where age should be a concern. As Chris said, as long as you have (and maintain) a clean record and do well in training you shouldn’t have any issues getting to a Major. There are always the “intangibles” (ie, some people interview very poorly, are just unpleasant, etc) that can be challenges but I don’t get a sense that’s you.

I also noticed you appear to be African American in your photo? Don’t know if you’re aware of OBAP (Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals, http://www.obap.org/) but I have a number of friends who are (have been) members and all have said they were helpful in their career progression. Def worth looking into.

Adam

Wow, thanks Adam! I’ll definitely look into it!

LaMorris

I 2nd that, OBAP is really good, I recently became a member and looking forward becoming more active once I start flying fulltime. A friend introduced me to OBAP, he just got hired by DELTA after only 2 yrs at COMPASS as a FO, No jet PIC :open_mouth:

Kenroy.

1 Like

@Kapache007, are there fees?

@lamorris85 yes there is a membership fee. http://www.obap.org/ check it out.

@Kapache007, thanks for the information bro.

What my link was no good? :wink:

Adam

@Adam​:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:!!! Of course it was El Capitan!!!

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: @Adam I totally overlooked that link being there.

1 Like

Kidding guys, just being stupid :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Andrea, we’ll it’s been 3 years and I want to hear that you went for it and are flying for a regional now!! And I want to hear you’re in a flow through and you’re going to tell us when you’ll be at a major!!! :heart::heart:

I’m now 51 so if you really did do it, I have the exact same time-frame!!!

But for real, can we get any sort of update? Even if you didn’t jump into it.

Thanks!!