How to study for private pilot certificate?

OK, So I know that there are study handbooks or material located at faa.gov yet i’m not sure which one would be the best to choose from to start reading so i can get ready for exams necessary to successfully get my private pilot certificate. any advice?

Airplane Flying Handbook, FAA-H-8083-3B (full version — low resolution)

Kolton

Kolton,

If you’re talking about what to study for the FAA Knowledge Exam I’d say drop the book and check out Sporty’s Study Buddy. If you’re talking about ACTUALLY getting your Private, while the Airplane Flying Handbook is a great resource it’s not going to prepare or teach you to fly. The fact is while all the books provide great info if you’re not combining it with flight lessons most of the info will be somewhat nebulas to follow.

Adam

Ok, Great so yes. I do want to obtain my private pilot certificate. thank you in the extremely fast response as well. from my understanding there’s a difference in a sports flying certificate and a private one. you mentioned sports study buddy not sure if I will learn l of the necessary requirements reading this or not. also I found out about gleim study online courses have you heard of gleim at all in reference to studying? what they have to offer etc?

Kolton,

You’ll learn about the necessary requirements for becoming a pilot when you are in flight school. The written exam is just one of many steps towards achieving that goal. You can certainly take it upon yourself to teach yourself as much as you can, but it’s not necessary. Passing the written exam is just a matter of memorization. It’s sad to say, but that’s the truth.

Yes, I’ve heard of Gleim. That is another alternative for written test prep. Some people prefer Gleim because they prefer to study from a book. Others prefer to study online. So, Sporty’s is catered to those individuals. Plus, Sporty’s is free.

Tory