HS Science Teacher to Airline Pilot

Hello, I am a 31 year old high school science teacher. I have been a teacher since I was 21 years old, and have both a bachelors and masters in Biology. However, I have been exploring the possibility of a more “exciting” career, and have always been fascinated with flying & it has always been in the back of my mind. My question is: Would my degrees and teaching experience suit me at all to become a pilot? And how long would it take from start to finish to start my career? I have zero flight experience besides all the commercial flights I have gone on. (and skydiving once, haha). Any info would be appreciated.

Drew,

Your degrees will definitely be a benefit for you, as the Majors all list a 4yr degree in their hiring preferences. As for whether or not you’ll be suited to be a pilot, there’s really no way of knowing until you try. Just as I’m sure teachers come in a wide range of personalities, pilots do as well.

With that in mind the very first thing Id do is go for an intro flight or lesson. While many believe they want to fly, I can assure you that flying upfront in a small training airplane is VERY different than sitting in the back going on vacay.

As for how long the process is, the training can be completed in as little as 9mos, then it’ll take approx another 1.5yrs to build the required hours to get hired by an airline.

Take a look at the attached link. It’s a great place to start: How to Become a Pilot – Steps, Cost, & Eligibility / ATP Flight School

Adam

Thank you so much for the info/help! I will check this out.

Thanks,

Drew

Drew,

Your degrees will be beneficial as the major airlines do like to see a four year degree, but are not concerned with what the field of study is.

Bear in mind that flying is not always exciting. We generally try to stray away from excitement as that often means something is going wrong. The job can have many hours of monotony and plenty of time spent in airports and hotels. I am in no way trying to dissuade you from the job, just pointing out that in many ways it is a job like any other.

Chris

1 Like

That’s because you’ve never flown with me! :wink:

Adam

1 Like

No, but I did tide in the back of an airplane you were flying once. Something about a bag sticker sticks out in my mind… :wink:

Wow! Good memory!

Jim Nides once gave me a really hard time about that sticker. Something about biting the hand that feeds you?

Adam

But that was a long time ago, on an airline that no longer exists, and at a terminal that is torn down now.

1 Like

Wow! Talk about rubbing salt on the wound! :flushed:

Adam

1 Like

Not trying to rub salt. As I went past the old EWR Terminal A today I actually thought of that moment, more just a passage of time thought.

It was twenty years ago when we started instructing with ATP.

1 Like

Tempus fugit my friend…

Adam

1 Like

That’s my favorite quote these days.

You’re 12, what do you know about it?

Adam

2 Likes

I get asked if I’m old enough to fly these jets all the time… heck, I’m barely older than most of these E-145s, LOL.

I rest my case!

Adam