Real Answers from Real Pilots

I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot

So, I’m a new ATP student in my 2nd week. I had 1 flight cancelled last week due to a thunderstorm and then again today one was cancelled due to high winds. I trust my CFI’s judgement when it comes to these cancellations, and to be frank I don’t feel comfortable attempting landings with 20+ mph gusts. Long story short, before I knew my flight was cancelled for the day my CFI asked if I’d be willing to move my 0730 flight tomorrow morning to later in the day because another student had to go to work and needed to fly at that time. Originally, I was okay with it, but after thinking and looking at the TAF for tomorrow, I noticed that some winds are likely to be moving in tomorrow around the time my new flight time was scheduled to be. Also, I remembered that I am the one that chose to not work so I can be available at all times to fly, and the other guy is able to keep working and just have students and instructors adjust their schedule according to his work. If I had known this was the case, I wouldn’t have quit my job. I let my CFI know that I’m not concerned with accommodating someone else’s schedule given the amount I’m spending and I’d rather come in at my normal time to avoid another cancellation due to weather. I did it in a very polite and respectful manner, but I’m just very worried that this will change his opinion of me and possibly not be as willing to help. I conducted myself in the most professional way possible, I just cannot bring myself to sacrifice my own flight time for someone else because they need to go to work. Am I wrong, and should I be concerned about my instructor’s opinion of me? Thanks everyone.

I do not see anything to worry about here. You are a customer as well and have your own concerns to worry about. Just keep it respectful, which it sounds like you did.

Jordan,

I’m with Chris on this one. If someone chooses to work the onus is on them and your instructor should know and respect that.

If it becomes an issue reach out to admin.

Adam

Jordan,

I also feel like you are making the right judgement call on this one. Your success should not be influenced by someone else’s work schedule. If the other students’ work is a conflict with the program, that is their burden to bear. Not yours.

Tory

Thank you all for the advice. Thankfully during the flight today it was far less awkward than I anticipated it being.

1 Like

We’d love to hear more about how your experience in the program has been. Last I saw you were thinking about the Milwaukee location. Is this the location you ended up going with? Or did you chose something different?

Tory

Jordan,

Good, as it should have been. The vast majority of pilots try to keep things as professional as possible.

Chris

Jordan,
I applaud you for speaking up for yourself and putting your training first. Most students would probably be upset, talk to their friends about it and be frustrated with their instructor but never speak up. You took the higher road and handled the situation professionally. I’m sure your instructor noticed as well and respects you for it.
-Hannah

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.
And Tory,
I actually ended up going to a location in the Phoenix Area instead. I’m loving it so far along with the challenges. I just passed my TOL Eval 2 days ago, so I was happy for that, but still am striving for improvement. Excited for the challenges that lie ahead in the program.

1 Like

Jordan,

Thank you for updating us. I am glad things are going well for you. As aviators, we are always striving for improvement, no matter how far along one is in their career.

Chris

Glad to hear it, Jordan! Keep up the good work.

Tory