I need advice on piloting as a career choices

I am currently a 16-year-old in a stem high school in NYC. My school has a heavy focus on engineering, computer sciences, robotics, etc., and I am generally interested in these areas. I am also extremely interested in flying as a career. ever since I was a kid I’ve been interested. Seeing as how I have to apply to college next year, I was thinking I might as well narrow down my career choices as much as I can. I really enjoy engineering, especially in robotics, however, after further research, I found out that engineering is a really difficult job to get into and succeed in, as its outlook decreases and it is a job that is very competitive. Being a pilot seems highly interesting. I love watching the planes fly by my house as they land at LaGuardia. I find videos detailing the terms and practices of the airline industry very interesting. I play a ton of flight simulators on my computer.

The point is that I have narrowed my interests to 2. Engineering and piloting both interests me a lot. Luckily for me, there is a college in NYC called Vaughn. it’s an aeronautics college. They have connections to flight schools, and they have multiple engineering fields I could study. I know that most airlines would like it if you had a degree, so I was thinking I study robotics engineering while simultaneously going to flight school. That way I can get a degree in engineering and become certified to be an airline pilot. I believe Vaughn has a program where I can take flight school for free. This is where I would like to have the opinion of a pilot. Should I do both at the same time, or should I focus on one or the other? Or would it be too much work to do FS and college at the same time?

Adam,

Obviously we have no idea your level of intelligence, your work ethic or how much you can and cannot handle. I know people who have run businesses, worked on their Master’s and traveled the world all at the same time while others can’t walk and chew gum at the same time. I can also tell you flight training is not easy and you also want to do well in college and maintain a solid GPA. What I can tell you is the airlines want a degree but don’t care the field of study AND it’s also always a good idea to have a backup plan to aviation. I’m thinking if the school offers both perhaps give it a try and see. If it’s too much focus on school and save the flight training for after but if you can kudos.

Adam

Pilot Adam
I have a interview tomorrow at my school for a program called avid. I need to tell them wheat I would like to be do that they can pick out my classes. I want to be a pilot and a surgeon I can’t decide on which one. I want to become a pilot because I can actually enjoy life and have a lot of free time. For a doctor I need to work insane hours shifts it take longer to get there and It’s a long way with lots of studying. Any advice?!

Fady,

I have no advice whatsoever. As Chris ALREADY told you these are grown up decisions ONLY you (and your parents) can make. He also told you pilots work very long hours as well. I’m not sure if you were hoping I’d tell you something else but it is what it is. EVENTUALLY pilots have a lot of free time but in the beginning you’ll have minimum so if that’s the reason you want to be a pilot you should think some more.

I will however offer you this. You can be a successful pilot with a medical degree but you can’t be a surgeon with an aviation degree.

Adam

Oh I see so you recommend that I follow the medical pathway and when I get my 4 year degree I can decide if I want to continue down the medical pathway or transfer over to aviation correct
Thx for for the reply

Fady my friend. No where in my post do/did I recommend you do anything. Again these are decisions you and your parents must make. All I did was provide you with some relevant info. Entirely up to you what you do with it.

Adam

Adam,

I personally think that college and flight school at the same time is too much. I recommend getting a degree in whatever interests you, then going to an accelerated flight school for your pilot training after that.

I am not the biggest fan of aviation colleges as they can be incredibly expensive.

Chris

Fady,

These are the absolute worst reasons to be a pilot. You need to do it because you love it and want to fly, not because you are looking for an easy path through life.

Chris

Thanks for the advice Chris, i’ll be sure to take that into account as i apply to colleges. The last thing i want is to be stressed as i complete my education. As for this certain college, i wouldnt be to worried about tutition their, as they actually sponsor my highschool and my current shop teacher has connections in the school, so attaining a scholarship wouldnt be too hard.

ok , thanks for the advice Adam. Hopefully one day i’ll be in the cockpit of a 787.