IFR Training

So in doing some reasearch I see in order to get your IFR rating, you must have 50hrs of cross country time logged. If I will be going into the program with 80+ hours tt, what would be the ideal amount of xc time to have? As you start right away with IFR, how much xc time do you log while doing the training?

Tucker,

The program is built in a way that guarantees you will meet all the requirements come checkride time. Specifically, in your case (assuming you have a PPL already), you will begin with 20hrs of XC time build before you even start actual instrument training.

Yarden

Is that dual time?

Yes, the 20hrs that you fly before instrument training are dual. Once you have the instrument rating, you will do 35hrs of XC with another student.

Yarden

Tucker,

Sure is. If you come into the program already having your private license all of your flight time will be dual time, with the exception of the cross countries that come in between your instrument and commercial checkrides and of course the checkrides themselves. In other words, you will not ever be in an ATP airplane by yourself once you have a PPL.

Chris

Alright very good to know. My schedual has changed a little bit and I am planning on doing an intro flight with ATP in January with the goal of starting next october. I Will finish my degree in the spring and spend the summer studying, leave my job in september to study and take all my written exams and then hopefully be flying by october!

Tucker,

It sounds like you have a pretty good game plan set. Let us know what we can do to help you along the way.

Chris