I'm Looking for outside thoughts and Insight about ATP vs Alabama?

I’ve been looking over ATP in Texas for over a year, and after my job was hit hard by C19 it was time to pull the trigger got the first class and pre modules done just tied up looking for a cosigner. I reached out to an aunt she was supportive and went on talking about how Alabama is a flight hub and she knows people in the aviation field and one has their own jet and flies vets and would be good idea to think of going there to learn. However there is no ATP near by, now they didn’t say they wouldn’t cosign for ATP but was pushing for Alabama. Was wondering any thoughts on the matter.

Thank you for taking the time to look this over.

I have never heard of anywhere in AL being known as a flight hub (except maybe Huntsville for cargo/armed forces stuff?) but that being said I’ll always yield to the guys who are a little more experienced here than I :wink:

As much as networking matters in any profession, during your time at ATP I imagine you won’t have too much time to explore around FBOs and meet people… I know I didn’t. You might, but I wouldn’t necessarily focus on that at this stage in the game. Take that same ambition, apply it to the program, and git 'er done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nathan,

Hard to know exactly what your aunt’s talking about? I’m sure there’s a fair amount of flying going on in the state and it’s great she knows someone who has their own jet (great possible networking job opportunity) but you need to learn and that means finding a solid flight school. Now there may be a good school or 2 but there may not be? I always encourage folks to do their research and we’re happy to help but we’d need more info other than you want to train in Alabama to do so.

Now as long as we’re on the subject it sounds like you were set on ATP. I assume that was after doing some research and you determined ATP was a great flight school with a great program, instructors, equipment and most important reputation and record for producing successful airline pilots. What I’m saying is it’s great to be close to home but if your goal is to become a professional pilot there are definitely higher priorities.

Adam

2 Likes

Nathan,

Not only do I love the conversations about what types of airplanes ATP has at certain locations, I love the topics about why should you choice ATP over somewhere else. Let me just begin with a fact from ATP’s Airline Placement webpage that 251 graduates were airline hired in the last 12 months. Depending on the location at ATP, you can see a wide variety of planes from standard 6-packs to the new G1000NXi avionics. You don’t see many other schools with these types of planes (newer avionics) unless they’re top-named schools/universities. Granted ATP gets a delivery of both Cessna and Piper yearly.

I have to disagree with Ryan regarding the networking, I’ve been able to network a LOT during my time with ATP. I’ve spent numerous weekends when no one else was in the training center - studying, simulator practice, and drawing on the boards…and met a lot of corporate/charter pilots coming in and out of the FBO. There are tones of forums/websites out there (like the one you’re currently on) that is great for networking and talking with fellow pilots. There is a mix of prospects (like yourself), current students, graduates and current airline pilots/mentors that answer tons of questions and share experiences.

I have yet to find another flight school or program that competes against ATP’s Fast-Track Accelerated Program for this reason. ATP takes you from knowing nothing, coming in from the street and creates you into a CFI (maybe a Multi-Engine add-on to that CFI) in a set amount of time. Not only are you rapidly learning the aircraft systems, you’re being exposed to CRM (crew resource management) preparing you for the airline environment. Must I also say that I’ve seem tons of articles that ATP’s CFIs are nationally recognized through NAFI and AOPA.

Brady

2 Likes

Nathan,
If you still want to pursue atp, Atlanta and Nashville would probably be the two closest cities with atp locations. Maybe consider getting student housing there and have the ability to travel home for a weekend here or there? That’s what I would recommend. Put your flight training first on the priorities list and then figure out how to make it work in your life the best way.

-Hannah

1 Like

I definitely did, here in Texas I’m an 1hr30min (not including traffic) from both Austin and DFW with the original goal of the flex track in mind with how my job works.
Thank you for the insight.

I live in texas I’m an 1hr30min (not including traffic) from both Austin and DFW. My aunt was suggesting moving to Alabama because how she says its a hub and who she knows, so I would want to stay in Texas if they were able to work as cosigners for atp.

1 Like

I’m looking at the flex-track here in Texas if she works as a cosigner, however with how my job works and if it continues how the last few season I hope to spend almost as much time a regular student.

Nathan,

I too am skeptical about Alabama. Aside from your Aunt’s comment, have you confirmed that Alabama is a hub? And a hub for what exactly? And have you figured out how training in Alabama will help you reach your goals?

Tory

That’s kind of why I’m reaching out here to see if any word of mouth about it. The schools I’ve seen their sites are limiting not really any info especially compared to ATP’s website.

Nathan,

Trust me, it’s not just their sites that are limiting. ATP has been successfully training pilots for careers at the airlines for over 35yrs. In fact they’ve had more of their students hired in the last 12 mos then most have ever.

When I decided to do my training with ATP I was bummed they didn’t have any locations close by at the time. I lived in NY and the closest location was 6hrs away in VA. NY and NJ have plenty of flight schools that would’ve been considerably more convenient. Thing was not a single one offered what ATP did. In hindsight I can honestly say I don’t believe It’s be where I am today without ATP (I’m a Capt at a Major airline btw). This is your career and your future we’re talking about, not going for lunch. This is a major decision that could literally make the difference between your success or failure. ATP is a known quantity with a track record spanning decades. Problem is you’re trying to compare ATP with some other hypothetical flight school you’re trying to find. Now if you have one again you could possibly compare the 2 but you don’t and the truth is you won’t.

I’m not telling you there are no other good flight schools out there. There are but again, few really stack up when you compare programs. Flight training isn’t cheap and tens of thousands of dollars (and your career) is not something to gamble with. You really need to give this some serious thought.

Adam

1 Like

I’ve given it real thought well over a year and lucky i have 3 close by 1 in Austin 2 in dfw and it was hands down best option in TX and I 100% want go there then any were else. My aunt threw a curveball when asking for a co-sign and was already not thrilled when I saw no locations but promised i’d look into it so I made a post here to see what people would say about it and then looked for sites and they were all disappointing and had actually planed on reaching back yesterday about it, just got tied up and didn’t have the chance to call but today I’ll be free to say the options there are not as great then here.

I know your Aunt says she knows pilots in Alabama, but what I wonder is if those pilots trained in Alabama as well? Or did they train elsewhere and then happen to get a job in Alabama?

Tory

said they were in military so not sure.

Nathan,

If they are/were military pilots then that’s where they did their training. While the military does a fine job training their pilots, it also means years of service and many activities that don’t involve flying. Don’t get me wrong, serving your country is a very noble thing but if you ask any pilot who’s done so (I know many) they’ll all tell you signing up only to learn to fly is a bad idea.

Adam

There’s your answer. You and your Aunt are on two different pages. While the majority of airline pilots used to have military experience, that is not the case anymore. If your goal is to train as a civilian pilot you’ll need to have that discussion with your aunt.

Tory

1 Like