Insane Upgrade?

Hey all,

I follow a pilot “influencer” on TikTok. He is an Embry Riddle Grad and is 25 years old. His most recent post was from today, posting about his upgrade to 737 Captain at Delta. 737 Captain at Delta at 25??? Is that realistic in this post-Covid, large # of retirements era?
His post about joining Delta: Login • Instagram
His upgrade post today: Login • Instagram
Note the dates at the bottom of the posts!

I would assume he lives in a very junior base, probably NYC? Still insane that, barring displacements/furloughs, and that he stays in his current assignment, he has 40 years as a Delta Captain. I feel like I can’t be the only one who thinks this is just insane! Honestly, I just want to gauge the mentors’ thoughts on this.

Ben

Ben,

Honestly couldn’t say? Pre pandemic Delta NY 717 pilots were upgrading in 2yrs. But if he graduated from Riddle at 22, spent at least a year at Regional (which is very unusual) that would mean a 737 upgrade in 2yrs which seems very unlikely. That all said if he has an “in” and got hired on less time I guess it’s possible?

Regardless I wouldn’t use him as an example of how anyone’s career will look like. APC is showing the most junior 737 Capt being there 5yrs which seems much more reasonable.

Adam

1 Like

Seems like it could be possible…

2 Likes

2.5 months??
Jeez, are so many people bypassing upgrade?

Ben

Ben,

I did some research and this information is correct. We have a similar situation at United right now, Captain positions have gone very junior. Generally this is because people do not want to subject themselves to years of reserve when they can hold a good schedule as a First Officer.

Chris

1 Like

Yeah, he graduated high school at 16. Riddle at 20 and some change and hired at republic a week after his 21st birthday. Flew with republic for a year and then flew with spirit for a year and hired at delta at 23. So unique journey, he surely knew he wanted to be a pilot at very early age after reading all of his info.