Real Answers from Real Pilots

Instrument Training- Will Post Updates Here

Hello all!

As I did in the Private stage of training in a different thread, I will post updates on my experience w/ instrument training here. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

Week 1:

So many sims! There are about 2 sims for every flight in instrument training. The King Schools Instrument Ground course is also pretty hefty- I just finished it yesterday and it took me about 50 hrs to get through. You’re expected to have King Schools and your IRA/FII written finished very quickly, within the first 2-3 weeks of instrument training. I’m starting in on studying for my written w/ Sheppard Air now.

I wish I had knocked the King Schools ground school videos out beforehand. My life would be 1,000% easier right now had I done that… Also, if you can get the written out of the way beforehand, then definitely do. It’s all I can do right now to study for my flights and get the ground school/writtens knocked out while staying on track. It’s doable, but extremely difficult. For your own sake and quality of life… Get your ground school and writtens knocked out! It’s been said so many times on this forum before, and I can’t understate how much better my life would be right now had I taken this advice!

All of that being said, I’m really enjoying instrument flying so far! It’s less about stick and rudder flying and more of a mental exercise. You’re constantly trying to anticipate what’s coming next and trying to stay “ahead of the plane”. It’s a lot of fun! During week 1, we’ve focused on instrument basics (flying precisely while scanning the instruments) and approaches. Studying approach plates beforehand has been instrumental (pun intended- ha ha) in being prepared for my flights. It’s a really cool feeling to take the foggles off and see the runway pop up in front of you!

3 Likes

Amanda,

Thank you for starting this thread and showing your insights.

Chris