Insufficient funds

Hello, I do not have the money for ATP, and I am extremely frightened for to take on such a loan for a job I may not even get. Is the airline industry extremely competitive? I am looking at alternatives like Epic flight academy, are they just as good as ATP?

And just how hard is it to get into American Airlines without a college degree, and the only thing you have is your flight school completion records?

My dream is to live in Miami and fly as an American Airlines captain, it seems a little unreachable.

1 Like

James,

Thank you for adding your insights.

Quintin,

Airline positions at the regional level are not terribly competitive, in today’s environment. Major airline positions are still highly competitive and will likely remain that way.

I cannot speak to the quality of instruction at Epic, but what I can tell you is that I have never met a single airline pilot that came from there. On the other hand, I have met more ATP graduates than I can count. ATP has been in business for three decades and produces more pilots than any other flight school. I am not sure of Epic’s track record.

I see no reason why you would not be able to fly for American some day, but it will require taking out a loan to cover the flight training costs, cutting your hair, and hoping that you can get in without a degree through their flow program, or obtaining a degree and applying that way. If you set your mind to it and take the appropriate steps, you should be able to accomplish your dreams just fine.

Chris

2 Likes

Quintin,
You’re not able to begin at ATP until at least 18 years old so you have time to explore financial options. Most people don’t have that kind of money laying around and instead have to opt for the loan. You should know though, it’s highly likely you will need a co-signer. It’s a hefty loan with a high level of risk on the banks end.
The best thing you can do now is to save as much money as you can and start building credit. If you wait to start training after college, at least 6 years from now you will have a bit of credit history on your side plus a little stashed away for expenses.
If you are approved for the loan and pursue training with ATP you will have all the resources you need to be successful with your training. With that success comes opportunities. It’s up to you what you do with it but the jobs are there…
-Hannah

2 Likes