Intro flight questions

Robert,

First, for safety reasons, ATP does not operate single engine aircraft at
night, unless required to meet experience requirements for a particular
rating. This rule does not apply to the multi engine aircraft.

It is best to stick with the same instructor for the majority of your
training since they are the ones that need to sign you off for the check
ride. However, it doesn’t hurt to fly with another instructor from time to
time. A mutual agreement between all three parties needs to be made
beforehand because a lot of things have to be considered.

If I was your CFI, my first thought would be, “Would it be beneficial for
you to fly the next lesson without me?” Sometimes the answer is “No.” There
are some phases of the program that have a very limited amount of flight
time available to get you check ride ready. I may choose to not give any of
those lessons up.

On the contrary, other phases like Private and Instrument have a lot of
repeat or building block style lessons. Those are the kinds of lessons that
I would use to have my student go up with another instructor. Also, I would
be selective of which instructor that would be. Each instructor has
something different to bring to the table. I would prefer to put my student
up with an instructor that I felt was best fit for the job.

To summarize, it depends. Sometimes it’s a win-win situation. Other times
it is not. The three things I like to ask myself in these kinds of
situations is, “Is it legal? Is it safe? Does it make sense?” If the answer
to any one of those three questions is “No,” then I would make what is
called a “no-go decision.”

Tory

Hello my name is Antavius I’m interested in becoming a pilot I just recently got enlisted into the Navy I want to know the necessary steps to take to work for an airline once my contract is up my job is (ABH) or aviation boat handler which got me interested in flying why should I do

Antavius,

I recommend you visit the FAQ section. That will answer most of not all your questions.

Adam

I was just wondering what the intro flight is really like if I have my private already. Will it be like I am taking another checkride? Also what if I have no time in the plane they take me up in?
Thanks!

Sydney,

I can only speak from my own personal experience, but here’s how mine went:

• Came in with credit for PPL as well, all time was in a 172
  • Intro. Flight was in a Piper Archer
  • Other than assisting me with reading the checklists and pointing out the few systems/locations of switches I wasn’t familiar with, I flew the aircraft the entire time from the moment we left the ramp until the moment we returned to it, including the takeoff/landing/and manuevers we did in the air, which the instructor talked me through.
1 Like

Sydney,

I’m a little confused by your question? If you have your PPL, even if you have no Piper time aged you flew Cessnas (or visa versa) it will still be in the same category and class you’ve flown. It will not be a checkride but if you want credit for your PPL you should have some good basic flying skills. That’s all they’re really looking for.

Adam

Dawit Krempl,

If I would to go to ATP and to Graduate from there with my PPL how would I know what Regional Airline job that I would fly for my career?

Dawit,

You’d have a lot more than just a PPL if you graduate from ATP. If you visit ATP’s website the full list of ratings, certificates and hours can be found there.

After graduating from the program, before flying for a regional airline you would need a way to build your flight experience to meet the regional airline eligibility requirements. Most people build experience flight instructing.

If you take a look at some of the tuition reimbursement programs and cadet programs listed on ATP’s website you’ll find that you can secure your spot at a regional as early as after receiving your PPL.

Tory

Dawit,

Tory covered things you should know but as to which Regional you’ll fly for, that’s a personal decision. People base their decision on any number of factors, bases, contract/pay, type of aircraft, they like the paint job etc etc. When the time comes it’s up to you to do your research and decide. Ultimately it often comes down to the airline that offers you a job.

Adam

Dawit,

I think you should spend some serious time on the FAQ section and here: Pilot Career Guide / ATP Flight School as they will answer many of your questions and help give you a better idea of the industry.

Chris

Thanks very much for answering my question! I really appreciate it.

Dawit,

Can you fly a regional plane international or not because it doesn’t have enough fuel? How long would it take for me to Start from Zero time $83,995 | 7 Months Fast Track from ATP and then fly for United Express for a first officer? Can I go to ATP even though I have never flew an airplane and I don’t know how to use all of the control buttons? I wanted to ask you guys these questions because you guys probably already know these questions!

Dawit,

Not only do we know the answers but they’re also readily available in our FAQ section and on ATPs website (www.ATPFlightSchool.com). I strongly recommend you take a look but I’m the meantime:

1. Flying into Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean is all international flying and yes the Regionals do that. If you’re talking about beyond that then you’re correct regarding the distance and that would probably mean college and a Major airline. Although there are cargo companies that don’t require a degree and fly international.

2. To fly for any Regional airline in the US you need to build 1500hrs of flight time. That’s usually accomplished by instructing and typically takes about 1.5yrs to build so about 2.5yrs is the average.

3. Yes, most new ATP flight students have zero experience and don’t know what the buttons do. That said you will need (and should) take an intro flight to really experience what you’ll be doing before you begin the program.

Adam

hey, I just have a question, when I do my 1500 hours I will be able to fly internationally, or is it only in the country?? I do not have any college yet but I will as soon as I get my certificate but I thought I was gonna be able to fly anywhere

Robert,

The 1500 hour rule is a regional airline minimum experience requirement. It also comes with some other requirements, but that wasn’t your question. Your question was about flying internationally.

So if your goal is to fly for a regional airline then you would only be flying “internationally” to places like Adam mentioned (Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean).

In order to reach the true international level you would need to build years of experience at a regional first. After a minimum five years experience and approximately 1000 hours as regional captain, you would then need to apply, get hired by a major airline, and get type rated in an aircraft that said airline uses to operate internationally.

The OTHER way to fly internationally is if you were to get hired by a foreign company, but that comes with its own set of requirements that are unique to each and every company that exists in that realm.

Tory