Intro/Questions

Will do! :smiley:

Congratulations Scott!!

I remember when I signed up…good times :slight_smile:

Have fun and good luck!

Chris,

I see the list of written tests. Is there an ATP-Multi written exam?

Also, I see junior pilot First Officer bases and Most junior captain hired on APC. What does that mean?

Ryan,

There is an exam for the ATP certificate, but you do not need to worry about until you are nearing 1,500 hours of flight time. In fact, many regionals will provide the class necessary for this exam as part of your new hire training.

As the the “junior bases”, airlines run off the seniority system, where the pilot who has been at the airline the longest gets his first choice of aircraft to fly and the base to fly it in and then other pilots chose the same in the order that they are on the list. Being “junior” refers to being at the bottom of the seniority list. So a junior first officer base is the base that new hire pilots are likely to be assigned to. Also, a junior captain base is the base where the pilots who have the least seniority, but enough to be Captains will find themselves at.

Remember though that the junior base is not necessarily a bad thing. I have been based at Newark for years, while I was initially assigned there because it was the junior base at the time I have chosen to stay because it worked out really well for me.

I hope that made sense, discussing seniority can be confusing.

Chris

Ryan,

Just to answer the latter part of your post, most jr Capt hired is to give you an idea of current upgrade time at that airline. In other words if it were to show Most Jr Capt hired 12/2013 (for example), that’s 3 yrs ago so currently that airline is upgrading in about 3 yrs. Make sense?

Adam

Thanks Adam, I seemed to have missed the second part of the question.

I’m your wingman :wink:

Hi Ryan - just in case you were asking about the multi-engine rating add-on to the private pilot rating: no, there is no written exam…just the oral and practical (flight) exams.

Chris / Adam,

Thanks. The junior base answer makes perfect sense.

When I retire from the military, the wife wants to move back to South Louisiana. Baton Rouge (closest) and New Orleans are the closet airport. I was looking at Envoy and Express Jet, since they have hubs at IAH and DFW. Illl be commuter because BTR or MSY aren’t hubs for any airlines.

Thanks again

Ryan

Ryan,

The fact is the majority of pilots commute. That’s one of the perks of the job, you can literally live anywhere.

Adam

Got my ATP package in today! Ready for March 6th!!

Would it hurt to start brushing up on the private pilot books?

Fresh from the press!! Gotta love that ‘New Book Smell’!

Check out this link for some guidance on where to start.

Congrats bud!

Yarden

Scott,

I would begin first and foremost studying the Sheppard Air info for the private pilot written exam, then move onto the instrument and maybe even the commercial if you have time. The more written that you can get done before starting ATP the better positioned you will be.

Chris

Thanks gents!

Bwahaha! The dreaded Box o’ Books! Enjoy :slight_smile:

And yes like the others said start banging out those writtens!

Adam

Hey Adam and Chris,
First off I want to say how helpful and informative this forum has been to me and I’m sure to many others. Thanks so much for paying it forward. I have read many of your posts and have been greatly informed. Information I don’t think that would have come so readily and accurately in other places. Again thank you! Keeping doing what you guys are doing.
So I’m 42 and like Adam’s experience I’m thinking of changing careers. Im an Oilfield person living in Houston very close to ATPs school. Things have been really rough over the past year with the cyclical nature of the industry and a bunch of us have been layed off. I’ve always wanted to fly and went into the oil industry to garner money to do so but life got in the way. Having read and seen all the answers to my concerns including age on this forum. I think I’m ready.
I will be in Houston the second week in Jan 2017 and plan on doing my introductory flight then as I have a lot of experience as a passenger but only once went up in a small Cessna and took over the controls. That was years ago but I remember it felt exhilarating.
I was wondering how the flight works in terms of payment and is there any other advice you would give besides doing the FAA exams prior to starting the program that I can do through Sportys etc.
Thanks in advance for your reply and continued support in pulling the trigger and being successful in my Aviation goals.

Corey.

Corey,

When you are ready to schedule your intro flight call ATP’s main number and schedule with them, they will collect your payment at that time via credit or debit card.

While we recommend doing the exams first, we do not recommend doing so at the expense of a later start date. In other words, do not delay your training start date just so you can work on written exams, there is time in the program to do them if need be, we just prefer that you do them first if you have the time.

Other than that I think you are good to go, just get your financing in order and get ready. The program is a lot of work, but it can also be really fun.

Thanks for your compliments about the website, it is nice to know that what we are doing is helpful. Feel free to ask any other questions that you can think of.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks so much for the efficient response. I’m excited to go on the flight and excited to begin training.

Corey.

Hey Cory,

As Chris said scheduling the Intro is easy, just call and they’ll gladly schedule it for you. There’s also a free Pre-Intro flight video (https://secure.atpflightschool.com/IntroTrainingFlight/) you should take a look at.

I also agree I wouldn’t delay starting the program for the wriitens exams. While it does lessen the workload, many people don’t take them prior and are fine.

Let us know how the intro flight goes.

Adam

Adam,
Thanks for the video suggestion and great advice. I will be sure to let you know how the flight goes. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Corey.