Introduction

Hi Everyone,

I’m Skyler and I will be starting from zero time at the Livermore location next Monday, 2/3. I’ve been on the sidelines reading different topics which have been very helpful, but I have a few questions hoping to get answered.

1. Is 93% a decent score for the PAR test? I know that you should try to get 100%, and believe me I tried, but missed a few. I also read something about how checkrides are a little easier for those that do well on writtens, but I have no idea what “do well” means.

2. How far behind will you be if you don’t finish your instrument and commercial writtens before the start date? I gave a month between the deposit and my start date to study for the three but working and unexpected home renovations distracted me. I studied the PAR in around 3 weeks with about an hour or so a day. I think I can take the IRA within the first two weeks of school.

3. How did you guys study for the IRA? Did you guys read explanations all or only for questions you felt needed explanations? I have been following the study strategy but I don’t always read the explanations which have confused me for some questions.

Thank you everyone and I look forward to your responses.

I actually haven’t experienced a checkride being harder or easier based on how you
Do on the writtens. Of course the examiner incorporates missed PLU codes for n your checkride to a certain extent but I’ve never felt that my checkride was harder than tha I t of a buddy who scored higher. Mind you, I scored a 78 on the PAR and every written after I arrived to get better. Also as for taking the writtens ahead of time, you will be fine! Its not necessary to take them early. I only took the first one prior to starting as well. Here’s kinda what I did to prioritize them since I didn’t take them prior to starting. So during PPL training I didn’t study for any writtens because I wanted to put my energy and time into learning the basics rather than taking tests. Once I took my PPL checkride and passed, I took a week or so non stop(my instructor had students to prep for other checkrides so I didn’t fly much this week which is why this worked) to study for my IRA and FII. Then I stopped studying for my writtens. Once I went on crew I started studying for the CAX and took it a few days after I got back. I knew coming back there was going to be another delay for training due to DPE availablity so since I wasn’t flying, I studied for the FIA which is pretty similar to the CAX so shouldn’t take long to prep for. The following day after my FIA, I got the software to study for the FOI, which while it can suck because it’s not at all about flying planes, is a super short question bank, and it took all of 5 hours to study for before I went and took the test.

1 Like

Skylar

1. 93 is a very respectable score. The Written exams are the easiest part of the process and examiners know that. Getting a low score sends a message to them that you’re either lazy or didn’t really understand the material. Either way the examiners will dig a little deeper to make sure you’re ready.

2. You won’t be behind at all, you just won’t be ahead. They’re not a requirement, it simply lightens the load.

3. Sheppard Air test prep and rote memorization. Nothing more. The understanding will come later. Also don’t forget to take the FII at the same time as it’s pretty much the same test.

Adam

2 Likes

Skyler,

Welcome to the forums and to ATP! Thank you for joining the discussion and asking your questions.

1. a 93% is a great score. Anything over 90% is fine. I would take that test now and move onto the next one.

2. You will not be behind at all. The program is designed for the writtens to be completed while in the program, but we push doing them early as it is a great way to get ahead. Do as much as you can, but don’t kill yourself trying to get them all done.

3. For the writtens, I would just memorize the answers. Work on the comprehension later. I know it doesn’t make a lot of sense, but it really is the best way.

Chris

1 Like