Is a USA Passport required to apply at Hawaiian?

Hello group. I’m a dual USA/Canadian citizen and I’ve been living and working in Canada my whole career. I have recently completed all the steps to convert my ATPL and have now received my FAA ATPL. I have my American medical too. I have over 8000 hours and am eager to apply at Hawaiian for the position of first officer. As I’ve been in Canada my entire life, I have been travelling on a Canadian passport. I recently applied for my American passport and am waiting for it to arrive via courier at some point. I have my American social security number.

My question is: Can I apply to Hawaiian at this point while I wait for my USA passport? My plan would be to travel for the interview on my Canadian passport and if hired, travel and work with my Canadian passport until the American arrives.

I know it’s a bit of a unique question but as I’m not sure how long the hiring window will be open at Hawaiian, I’d like to get my application in as soon as possible. All help and information will be greatly appreciated and I hope to see you in Hawaii soon!

Thanks for reading this and your help

Michael

Michael,

What did Hawaiian say when you contacted them and asked?

Chris

Michael,

Hawaiian absolutely requires a US passport.

Adam

Hi Chris,
I haven’t contacted them yet. I will to confirm. Got another reply saying it’s required and that’s what I thought. I hope that the processing time will be quick and it will be no issue.

Hi Adam, can you confirm your source? Just reading the posting and it says * Valid Passport

• Must be eligible to work in the United States

Nothing about it needing to be a US passport.

Thanks,

Job Requirements

• FAA ATP certified, Airplane Multiengine Land with English proficient endorsement required
  • Minimum 1,500 total flight hours
  • Minimum 1,000 fixed wing hours
  • High school diploma or its equivalent
  • Valid First Class Medical Certificate
  • Valid FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit
  • Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Security Clearance
  • Valid Passport
    **** Must be eligible to work in the United States***; this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship, such as an H-1B visa, by Hawaiian Airlines
  • Must be able to obtain a Flight Crew Visa to all of Hawaiian Airlines’ destinations
  • Strong written and verbal communication skills
  • Ability to use sound judgement in decision making
  • Able to work effectively within diverse teams
  • Strong problem-solving skills
  • Ability to maintain composure under pressure
  • Must support Hawaiian Airlines’ mission: “To grow a profitable airline with a passion for excellence, our customers, our people, and the spirit of Hawaii,” with commitment, the aloha spirit, and Hawaiian hospitality
  • Must support Hawaiian Airlines’ vision: “To be the #1 destination carrier in the world

My source is working for Hawaian for 10+ years (but that may have changed). You should definitely get a confirmation from Hawaiian directly.

Not sure why you wouldn’t ask them?

Adam

That’s definitely my next step. I didn’t want to bother them and look like I don’t know what I’m doing if it was obvious. Also, I’m having trouble finding an appropriate contact to ask the question. I thought this would be the quickest way to get a reply, as it’s such a good group! Can you recommend an email address to ask that specific question? Thanks for your help

Michael,

Unfortunately I don’t. However, since you have a “valid passport” and more important a SS# and are legal to work in the US I would definitely apply.

Adam

Thanks so much for that advice! I figured there must be many pilots who are legal to work in the US for example, with a green card that don’t have a US passport. Just wanted to double check. Exciting!

Good luck!

Adam

1 Like

Hi Adam, USA passport was obtained and application submitted 8 weeks ago. Can you advise please. Is this a normal amount of time to wait until hearing back regarding an interview? If not, is there a way to follow up? Online the application is showing in progress/pending.

Thanks!

If it says “progress/pending” then it is.

This is Hawaii :grinning:

Adam

Michael,

It is incredibly normal to submit an application and not hear back for a while. Some apps you may never hear back, others you’ll be going about your day and an email will slide in your inbox with the best surprise ever. If your app is the best reflection of you, just relax and go about your life.

Hannah