Real Answers from Real Pilots

Is it possible to fly 6-7 days a week throughout training?

I’m starting ATP soon and am very excited to begin training. I am eager and willing to train, but also want to finish ATP successfully in the quickest manner possible. Is it possible to fly 6-7 days a week? My wife will be attending a Master’s Program while I am completing my training at ATP, so there will be no distractions in that respect, and it will likely be helpful for us to both be as busy as possible studying and training. Obviously I will need a day off here and there, but if I get after it, and study, is it possible to fly 6-7 days a week and get as many hours in as possible without compromising quality? Thanks in advance

Jordan

Jordan,

I’m certain one of the reasons you chose ATP was the accelerated pace of the program. ATP compresses what traditionally takes years into month. The goal however is really not to complete the training as quickly as possible, it’s to prepare you for what’s to come once you progress to the airlines. With that you need to understand many find the program extremely challenging. It’s not a race nor something to be taken lightly.

So to answer your question while it may be possible to train 6-7 days a week (and there may be weeks when you do) I highly recommend you actually start the training, see what’s involved (and how you do) before you decide how quickly you want to speed through it. Someone can get through an obstacle course in record time but if the don’t successfully hit all the challenges the time is irrelevant.

Adam

1 Like

Jordan,

Yes, you can probably fly more than five days per week. Remember though that flight school is not just about flying, there is much book knowledge to learn and much self studying to be done. You might fins that you need those days off to study and really learn the material.

Once you start the program, you will have a better idea of how much time you need for studying or what extra time you can use to get ahead.

Chris

1 Like

Jordan,

Depends on location (weather, instructor/student ratio, and aircraft/student ratio). Most locations can avg 3-5 flight/sim events done per week.

As everyone suggests, having the writtens done prior to starting will give you more time focus on learning how to fly. Being at the school or within 30min also allows you to jump ahead (if someone cancels or can’t do their flight, you might be able to take their slot).

Chris F

1 Like

Jordan,
Is it possible? Yes, but you’ll have to prove that you can keep up with the pace successfully before that happens. As others have said, it’s a fast paced program and is challenging for many at the standard pace. Flying is only half of the equation, you still have to keep up with the ground knowledge and sim proficiency. The ground knowledge is more often the limiting factor. You can only study so much every day… but ATP won’t fly out your time quickly if the ground knowledge isn’t keeping pace.
If you can keep up will it all successfully than your CFI and training support manager can agree to a more expedited timeline.

-Hannah

1 Like

I mentioned this somewhere else, but if studying does prove to be a struggle for you, I recommend trying out the website Focusmate.

It pairs you with a random accountability buddy for a 50min focus session. It works amazingly well, during quarantine I was studying 8+ hours a day no problem. I still use it everyday for various tasks and intend to use it throughout my time at ATP.

1 Like

Jordan,

I actually don’t think that there are enough flights in the syllabus to fly that many days per week, consistently. Could it happen on occasion? Yes, but I would not expect that to happen often.

The Instructors are tasked with managing 3-4 (sometimes more) students at a time. With the sheer volume of students the Instructors can only do so much.

You’re going to need down time to assimilate, study, recover…best thing you could do ahead of time is take as many writtens as possible. That will help you concentrate your energy on the rest of the program.

Tory

2 Likes

Hi Jordan,

Current instructor here, throwing in my two cents:

Yes, you could fly 7 days a week. However, between weather, CFI availability, aircraft availability, and your own ability to keep up with the pace of the schedule, I wouldn’t plan on keeping the 7-flights-a-week pace through the program. CFI, for example, has ground school separate from the flight portion (as there’s 2 weeks of classes), so you won’t be flying ATP planes during that time.

One good way to start is by completing all of your written exams before starting ATP. That way, you’ll be able to focus on what your CFI wants you to study instead of having to work through King Schools or Sheppard Air.

Please remember that CFIs are people too, and we like our weekends every so often! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jordan,
You also have to understand that ATP allots a certain amount of hours per block of training dedicated to that specific area of focus. For example, if you’re solo XC prep is 9 hrs of scheduled flight time, and you complete that on Mon, Tues, Wed…and your XC eval is scheduled for Fri…you won’t have a Thursday flight scheduled to get “extra” training to prepare. Also, if you are falling behind and need more time to prepare for the eval, it most likely will cost you more money and delay your scheduled progress for the program. It is a very regimented program, and if you work hard you should be able to complete it as intended.

1 Like

:raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the help, it sounds like I need to sit back and enjoy the ride, and if I work hard I will finish in the intended time. Also, I understand that I should complete my faa written exams before starting. Are these exam fees included or will i pay out of pocket for them?

You pay for them out of pocket. But, if you get a loan to finance you can add funds to cover fees and cost of equipment not covered by tuition (headset, ipad, etc)

Jordan,
When looking to schedule your FAA knowledge tests…notice that if you schedule and take them at a PSI testing center, it is just the $100.00. If you schedule to take them at a flight training center at a nearby airport etc, that training facility adds a 65.00 fee on top of the 100.00. SO, try to take them at a PSI center, and save 400.00 assuming you do all required 6 tests for ATP :+1:t3:

1 Like