Is there an alternative to King School course

I live in a rural area and internet bandwidth isn’t that great. I can stream YouTube and other streaming services just fine. Prior to plonking down money for the King School ppl course I tested out my streaming capability by trying the free courses.

Long story short, the video buffers so often I could be in danger of going bald because I’ll pull out all of my hair trying to watch.

Naturally, the King School app is only available on the iOS platform and I’m pretty sure my wife will kill me if I buy an iPad just for this one thing. So, my question is what are the other apps that I’ll need as a pilot and flight student?

Please say there are several and they’re only available on the iOS platform so I can justify this.

Almost every flight school requires an IPad and ForeFlight app. You use them for learning, flight planning and actively while flying. The Mini or IPad Air are acceptable. Most schools want the version with GPS/mobile data available. Don’t get the biggest iPad as they are clunky in the airplane.

ATP sure does require an IPad. Today you can still learn to fly by only reading the text books… but obviously seeing the videos / lessons are a big help and learning goes by much faster IMO. Not to mention IPads replace charts, maps, and much more while flying.

Chris F

Nigel,

Almost all flight schools and airlines rely heavily on iPads. Of course, airlines generally provide the iPad while flight schools do not. As a student, many of your manuals, books of regulations, study material and more importantly flight planning software and aeronautical information will be on the iPad. I see very few other types of tablets in use, almost everybody uses the iPad.

Chris

Nigel,

What is your plan besides this PPL course?

Tory

Nigel,

I’m going to respectfully disagree with the others here, depending on your goals. You only mention the King’s PPL course and if you’re simply looking to fly for recreation then you don’t need an iPad. While they’re definitely nice to have thousands of people have gotten (and continue to get) their PPLs without iPads, apps etc. That said if your goal is to eventually become a professional at some point you’re going to want one so it’s worth the investment now.

Adam

Nigel,
With King schools you should be able to download the modules and watch for later. Maybe you could go to a library or Internet cafe, download a whole section and watch them at home without having to stream. I will echo some of what the guys said, if you’re getting private for fun you could get by without an iPad. However, if you’re looking to become a professional pilot, invest in an iPad mini and it will get the job done with the cheapest out of pocket expense.
-Hannah

I plan to enroll in the Airline Career Pilot Program. My question really revolves around why the iPad seems to be the go to tablet. Is it because the majority f the apps we’ll need are only available on the iOS platform?

I’m a firm believer in using tech for learning. It’s portable and you can study wherever you are, it saves on lugging around a ton of books. I’m just trying to justify to my wife why I’m about to buy another expensive tablet when I just bought a new Samsung.

Nigel,

Most of the aviation software is designed to work on iPads and it just simply works better there. Also, ATP’s training bundle requires one to have a iPad. You can see ATP’s requirements here: Preparing for your Airline Career Pilot Program / ATP Flight School

Chris

Nigel,

I’m not a tech guy but what I can tell you is virtually EVERY airline in the country experimented with other platforms for their tablets. Everything from Dells to Surface Pros. In the end they all went to the iPad. Now does the software perform better in the iOS platform, do more aviation software manufacturers simply prefer the platform or does Apple pay software companies off? I don’t know but what I do know is in the end Apple won and yes if your plan is to train with ATP you will need an iPad.

Re-gift your Samsung to your wife.

Adam

If your plan is to eventually enroll in the program then you will need an iPad. No question.

I do have one suggestion though. Why spend the money on a PPL ground school course when you’ll be provided with the same King Schools course upon enrollment? Is your plan to earn your PPL outside of ATP?

I would think about taking the written exams over completing a PPL course. Saves time for other things while in the program. Just don’t take the written exams too soon. The results are only valid for 24 calendar months.

https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Tory

Hi Tory,

Ok then, asked and answered. Apple won and iPads are the standard. I was looking at the King course to prep for the ppl written and I was looking at options to work around the slow internet here in sunny nowhere turn right at the large boulder on the right.

Short answer, I was bored out of my tree and figured I’d knock out the ppl written exam so when I show up I only have to focus on learning to fly. Frankly doing the written now or when I’m at ATP is 6 of one or half dozen of the other.

1 Like

Nigel,

Actually it’s really not 6 of one etc. While certainly not a requirement, completing not just the PPL written, but ALL 6 of the required FAA Knowledge exams is highly encouraged. ATPs program is highly accelerated and many struggle to balance the workload. Getting the writtens out of the way prior will give you a significant leg up.
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Adam

Nigel,

I would strongly disagree that doing the written now or when a student at ATP is the same. There are several writtens to take, we have consistently seen better results from those that take the writtens before starting the program. Even getting a few of the writtens out of the way is a huge advantage. ATP’s program is very condensed and thus very busy. If you are able to take the writtens out of the equation early, it swill give you far more time to study while in the program.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well if that’s your recommendation then who am I to argue. I’ll re-gift the Samsung to the wife and rock out the writtens.

On an unrelated note, can someone tell me which regional airlines are domiciled in Atlanta.

Hey Nigel, just to tag onto previous responses, you can do the writtens during training but a cautionary note, it is more difficult. I was only able to complete the PAR prior to training and although I was able to complete and score in the 90’s on the remaining knowledge tests, I would have been better off using that time for night sim sessions and practicing flows. Just get done what you can without stressing but don’t slack. Ed

1 Like

Nigel,

Check out this map for airline domiciles: Airline Domiciles Map / ATP Flight School

On another note, happy Ides of March, if that is an appropriate thing to say,

Chris

Hi Ed,

I’m ordering the material today. I still have to secure financing so in the meanwhile I’ll rock out as many of the exams as I can.

Just keep in mind that the study material is included once you place your deposit down. I would not order too many sets of written preps right now. Just one at a time.

Chris

Hi Nigel,

You asked a question about alternatives to King, and it seems the discussion got turned into an IPAD discussion. Sporty’s Pilot Shop (a large national firm like King) has a sophisticated internet delivery of pilot training content that is accessible by SMART TV or Roku (others I expect). It has a little different feel than good old John and Martha, but I used it extensively to back up my instrument training, which I did 141. Give them a try, it’s www.Sportys.com. Good luck.

I’m more of a visual learner, so material presented in videos works for me.

Thanks Chris.