Is this really a "typical" day in the regionals?

I came across this video on Youtube from a pilot who quit the airlines because he did not like the lifestyle. I was wondering if his depiction is accurate or if he is embellishing a little? I assume factors like the airline, base location and seniority come into play. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

https://youtu.be/F8hCIolZRTU

Nick,

I didn’t watch the video all the way through this time because I’ve seen it before (eye roll). From what I remember his reasons for quitting were completely embellished. It was like he planned to quit before he got hired to make money making YouTube videos. I find him to be very inauthentic, like the majority of YouTube click bait.

Tory

2 Likes

Awesome that’s the answer I was hoping for!

Thank you

1 Like

Nick,

I’d have to agree with his statement at the beginning of the video, “I’m an idiot”. Honestly I couldn’t get past the first minute. Why? Because his “typical” day involves his commute (which a) is a choice and b) isn’t everyday, and c) is delayed which obviously isn’t the norm), a lousy trip with a duty day that’s twice his credit (very not typical), and starts the night before (when he looks at his schedule? Really? That’s work?).

Now listen if he’s decided he can make more money flight instructing and YouTubing, and enjoys that more, that’s great and I wish him well. BUT to make a video describing a bad day as a newhire at the airlines as “typical” is misleading. Further he’s a newhire who’s clearly unwilling to pay his dues and give the career more than a few months to improve. Not sure what his expectations were but maybe he should’ve done some more research.

Now full disclosure Nick, if you don’t think in the beginning you’re going to have a lousy schedule because you’re junior you’re wrong. And yes while this is the greatest job on Earth there can be some frustrating days. The fact is there is some dues paying, commuting stinks and first year pay isn’t great. But again if he thought he’d go from instructing to living in base, flying a 777, getting paid $350hr, never being delayed and flying single legs to Paris for a croissant then shame on him.

Adam

3 Likes

Nick,

No, this is by no means a typical day at the regionals, nor at any other airline. I have never had a day like the one he describes. He is describing the absolute worst case scenario, multiplied by ten. Now granted, I am not at a regional, but here is a video segment I did about a typical day: Ride Report: A Day in the Life of an Airline Pilot with Airbus Captain Chris Carey - YouTube

When I was at the regionals, sure there were long days and the pay was not the greatest, but much of that has improved since then. What this pilot describes is a worst case day, certainly not a typical day. I remember having many nice overnights with ExpressJet, in places all over the continent. Of course some days were more work than others, but that is true with any job.

Now that I am at a major, the days are even easier, far more predictable, and the pay dramatically better. It takes some time to get there though. Nobody starts at the top of their profession, it takes some time to get there.

I am not impressed with this guy. He is a complainer, dramatically tosses his phone around (which shows he does not respect things) and was clearly more interested in filming his preflights than he was in doing them properly.

I am glad you brought this up though as it is always good to get a reality check from people who are not just looking to get YouTube clicks.

Chris

2 Likes

Chris,
I had no idea you were that Chris. I haven’t seen it in awhile, but that ride report was one of the ones I saw when I first found ATP and was binge watching their videos. Even though I’m too old to be where you are, hearing your experience made me call ATP.

Chris,

Thank you so much for sharing your video. I just watched it and gained valuable information. It really put the duties of pilots into perspective and portrayed what a “day in the life” is much more professionally than the video I initially posted about.

Nick

Brian,

The aviation world is a small community :wink: . I’m sure some of Chris’ colleagues have seen that video and thought the same thing you did. There is only around 690,000 pilots in the United States per Statista 2020, compared to around 328 million people. :slight_smile:

Brady