Is this the right decision?

So I did chat with the mentors here, but it was on a different thread.

The situation I’m in right now is that I have two years or so left of my BS CS. I contemplated dropping out and starting ATP a couple weeks ago, but realized through advice from mentors here that it wouldn’t be a good idea since to get to the majors, you basically need a bachelor’s to get in. So I decided that the plan would still be to finish the degree and then do ATP afterwards. The problem is that I’m literally not interested in CS at all anymore. I don’t want to have anything to do with it. It irritates me to think about how most of the difficult coursework and math we do isn’t even applicable out in the working world. I don’t even remember why I chose to do CS in the first place. It was probably all the hype and the fact that I was obsessed with video games back then (I like video games so I should major in computer science). Bottom line is I’m not passionate about CS whatsoever.

Then, I remembered reading here that a lot of pilots get their bachelor’s degrees online while at their regional airline. And after pondering about this for a while, I’m starting to think that this is the most logical and viable route for me.

I’m not interested in CS, so why should I continue spending money on a degree that I’m not passionate about and have to unwillingly study for to pass classes? Why should I spend all the time and money commuting to and from school?

What I’m thinking right now is I should stop pursuing the CS degree and start ATP as soon as possible after getting the medical. Then, after getting to a regional, I will look for (or already have found) a good online degree program for probably Business Administration/Finance. Or, if I’m up for it, complete an online CS degree since I already have some CS classes under my belt. I have all my GEs complete.

I think this is the better route because this saves time and money. Time that would translate to seniority time at the regional/major. This way, I can study something I’m actually interested and passionate in (I always found that I enjoyed my businesses classes a lot more than my CS/Math classes) instead of suffering while studying and putting time and money into something I resent. The flexibility of the online degree is also great in how you don’t have to commute anywhere.

I really think this is the most time and cost effective route for me right now. Is this valid reasoning?

And since I have my GEs finished, does anyone have a ballpark time frame for how long it would take to finish something like an online bachelor’s degree in business/finance?

I really appreciate this forum and everyone who participates in it. It’s all been so helpful! :pray:

1 Like

Vince, just to give you kinda my plan if you are interested and may help you plan. Not sure if you have stumbled upon my thread; Im a student at ATP who started May 20, 2019. I have 58 credits in a local community college going for a Criminal Justice Degree being that the 2 things i enjoy learning about the most is Aviation and Law, also Criminal Justice would have been easier than an aviation degree surely. My college said i can literally come back when ever to finish so i put that on hold to get started in my career in aviation to then continue and finish the Associates and Bachelors while i’m at a regional building time to upgrade and get to meet Major airline requirements. ( assuming all goes well with training)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Ankel!

Yeah I should see what my options are for returning as well, although I think I’d prefer to do the degree online since it’s a lot more flexible.

1 Like

Yea im meant online too Haha sorry about that. But if time allows it I wouldnt mind going to class for it as well. The whole online thing would make me lazy and as Chris our Mentor has mentioned it’s true that an in person lecture is much more valuable than whatever the experience is online.

1 Like

Vince,

While I stand by my original recommendation you finish school it’s your life and your decision. There are a number of schools with online degree programs that will not only allow you to transfer your current credits but earn credits for your pilot licenses and ratings. I’ve heard people in your situation earning their BS’ in as little as a year.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

When you say finish school, are you recommending me to finish my CS degree at my current college, or get a BS in general? I fully intend on getting a bachelor’s degree, but I feel like the more sensible route for me given my scenario would be to start ATP now and get the BS while at a regional, instead of spending an extra two years on a degree I have no interest in before starting ATP.

Oh wow! BS in a year? Did these people already have their general ed finished like me?

Vince

Vince,

Yes they did. They completed their core credits and then received credits for their licenses and ratings leaving them with min credits left for a degree. The reason I always encourage people in school to continue is simply because it’s easy. You think it’s challenging to get your head into school and continue with your lack of interest now, it will not get easier to spend your down time studying years from now when you’re flying across the country in a jet getting paid. Many find it very difficult to regain the focus needed.

Really comes down to being honest with yourself. If you believe you’re up for the task then delay but if you know there’s a good chance you won’t then finish your degree now.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Appreciate the insight. I fully understand that it’ll be more difficult to do the degree later at a regional; however, I feel like changing my major to something I actually enjoy would be immensely less difficult than trying to finish a CS degree without an ounce of motivation, especially when there’s an alternate viable route in mind. There’s also the fact I would have no choice but to finish the BS later on; otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to get into a major airline and further the career.

So if I’m being honest with myself, I would much rather do the degree online at a regional.

Vince

Vince,

Finishing your degree online while at a regional was one of the options that I suggested that you consider. While I would normally encourage people to finish their degrees if they’re already in school, it sounds like you hate your major with a passion. I think your plan to finish your degree online while at a regional is a good idea…as long as you do it! Hold yourself accountable.

Tory

1 Like

Tory,

Yeah that pretty much sums up how I feel about my major haha. Just started realizing that I was never interested in the first place. The more I looked into what the major entailed, the more I dreaded it. And it actually was your suggestion of the online degree at regionals that made me look more into it, so thank you for that! I will definitely hold myself accountable as I’m responsible for the actions I take.

Vince

1 Like

Vince,

Glad we were able to help. Out of curiosity, have you thought about changing majors? When I was in college, I was studying aerospace engineering, until I reached the graduate-level classes. I changed my major to communication studies. Completely different. Most of my credits transferred. I finished in the same amount of time it would have taken me to complete AE. I loved studying comm, and it felt good to have the degree out of the way when I decided I wanted to learn how to fly. Just something for you to think about before you make your final decision.

Tory

1 Like

Tory,

I have thought about changing majors right now. If I did, I would probably pursue a Business/Finance degree, as I really did enjoy my business classes at my community college; however, I feel like the route of starting ATP now and finishing the degree online at a regional is the more time effective option. I would save a lot of time and money on not having to commute to and from school. Also, the seniority aspect of starting ATP now opposed to starting ATP after 2-3 years of pursuing the degree. These are just some of the angles I’ve been thinking about.

Vince

1 Like