Job Hopping

How bad does job hopping look on your resume when applying to a regional airline?

I just completed a 6-month contract for a Part 91 company. I started with 495 hours and ended with 933. It was my first aviation job. Next week I’ll start a Part 135 VFR job and plan to leave when I get to 1500. It’s up in Alaska (not the best flying weather), so it may take a year to reach ATP minimums.

Is there a minimum time frame that employers look for when they review your employment history? I think 6 months at one company is a bare minimum. I heard some people say a year should be the minimum for any job. What do you think?

Erik,

If it were any other career I’d say it can be an issue. You however are a new pilot looking to build time and experience so it’s understandable. Factor in if you have a pulse and 1500hrs apparently you can get hired at a Regional these days and I wouldn’t be concerned in the least.

That said I wouldn’t continue that practice after you get to a Regional. Training pilots is expensive and the Majors aren’t looking to be a “next step” in anyone’s career progression.

Adam

Erik,

I think you will be fine, airlines know that sometimes people bounce around while trying to build hours.

My bigger concern is that your new job is VFR. While this may not be an issue in an airline interview due to the current hiring environment, your IFR skills will erode greatly. Make sure you do something to keep them up.

Chris

Erik,

Chris actually brings up a good point. Not trying to discourage you from the Alaska gig and I’m sure it’ll be a great experience but you def need to be mindful of your instrument skills. When you get to a Regional VFR training is minimal concern and the sim requires (and the airline requires) sharp instrument skills. I’ve told the story and seen it before, people do wash out and you don’t want to be one of them.

Adam