Real Answers from Real Pilots

July ‘19 Schedule with How To

Ravi,

For GL days, see above.

The days that show me in SMF or FCA on 11, 16, and 30, I am on a layover in those cities. They are not OFF days. I do get paid per diem rates just like any other layover.

Tory

Hi Tory, thanks for the quick reply. For the layover days, are you able to request the city you’d like the layover to be in? If that’s not an option, assume you could fly to another city and back that same day given there are no flights scheduled for that day (as long as you show up in time for your scheduled flights)?

Ravi,

You can bid on which cities you want to go to and many people do bid that way. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to leave an overnight city and go someplace else. Also, it is a really bad idea. What if you do not make it back in time? What if something changes and the company needs you to fly earlier? It is best to stick with the program and find something to enjoy in whatever city you are in.

Chris

Ravi,

VERY bad idea and one of the few things you can do to get fired. Get bumped off a flight, flight cancels, you get rescheduled, etc etc etc. You’ll have a lot of explaining to do and no good explanation to present.

Adam

Good advice and good to know that you can bid on overnight cities. Thanks everyone!

Ravi,

Like the others have said, it’s considered bad form to relocate or travel while on an overnight. While yes, it could be done, it is too risky.

Tory

Ravi,

I have always bid cities I like as it makes the job that much more enjoyable. I do not always get what I want, but I usually manage to get one of my favorites.

Chris

Ravi,

And let me just add this. One of the things I miss the most about Regional flying was the diversity of the overnights. As a Regional pilot you’ll have the opportunity to fly all over the US and discover how beautiful this country really is. I went to some cities i never would’ve chosen and had some amazing times.

Look at this job as an adventure and you’ll never be disappointed!

Adam

2 Likes

True and couldn’t agree more! Btw, one of my favorite authors is James Fallows who writes for The Atlantic magazine and in 2012 him and his wife got a private plane and explored towns all across America and wrote about the places and people they met along the way. Here’s a quick review of the book (believe it’s been turned into an HBO documentary now): [What Two Writers Found When They Bought a Plane and Touched Down on Main Street, U.S.A. - The New York Times] https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/12/books/review/our-towns-james-deborah-fallows.html

Ravi,
Thanks for sharing that link! I came across that when it was published and absolutely loved it! Great perspective to take in to regional flying too. You never know what gems you’ll find. On your overnight layovers, you can visit locals and still have an enjoyable time. Bid for cities you have family in or friends from college… I’ve taken advantage of that during my layovers. It’s quite fun. A free visit basically!

-Hannah

1 Like