July, 4th Start Date - KISP

After many years, I decided to join ATP over at KISP on Long Island, NY!

For those who are planning to start “later in life”, I turned 32 in March and I don’t think I am “too old” to start. It took a VERY long time to decide on moving forward with this school but in the end, I made the decision based on my pros/cons and my goals—becoming an airline pilot. Definitely looking forward to the new chapter in life.

Currently, I’m reading through the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, working on the orientation videos, and using the Sporty’s Study Buddy app for PAR practice. I may purchase the Kings School PPL course to supplement my learning. May be overkill?
(The FAQ, ‘So you want to knock out the written tests early? A Guide Vol. II,’ may need to be updated as Kings School is no longer included with ATP Flight School tuition).

https://airlinepilot.life/t/so-you-want-to-knock-out-the-written-tests-early-a-guide-vol-ii/27075

1 Like

Washington,

Great news on scheduling your start date. When you are flying around Long Island, on the north shore there are four distinctive smokestacks from a power plant, about halfway out. That is Northport Harbor, I lived very close to there as a kid.

Thank you for pointing out that we need to update that thread, I will do so now.

I am glad you are working on the writtens, that will be a huge advantage to you. Please continue to update us as you go through training.

Chris

1 Like

Congrats, Washington!

You should be sufficiently prepared for your PPL with or without the King Schools PPL course. It wouldn’t hurt, but I don’t see it being a necessity.

Tory

1 Like

Washington,

Congrats on the start date at the Long Island location in July! I think your jump into the aviation world is not late at all, in fact I’ve seen students at my location start much later than you and are successful.

I don’t think you should have to purchase the King’s School Ground Course to supplement your learning. The PHAK, ATP’s resources and the Sporty’s Study Buddy App is a lot of opportunity already. After you get your PAR completed, I would recommend acquiring Sheppard Air and starting to study for the Instrument Rating Airplane (IRA) [you can pair it with the FII written] with their software. Having at least your PAR should be the goal right now, but since you have some time, I would highly recommend attempting another exam if possible.

Please let us know if there are any other questions that you may have. Would love to hear about your experiences are you enter the program and move forward with the journey.

Brady

1 Like

Hey all,

First couple days have been going great! All the studying has been coming together and it makes sense. Fundamentals and maneuvers are vital for flight especially on the approach and landing. The instruction from my CFI has been beyond expectation—very helpful, thorough, and solid sense of integrity.

Chris, that is awesome! The island looks very different from above. Peaceful. I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for the stacks around the Northport Harbor.

Tory, Brady, I appreciate the advice. I did find the Sportys Study Buddy app very useful, supplemented by the the PHAK. I took the exam before my start date and passed! I also agree that Sheppard Air is a valuable tool for the IRA written. It may seem like a lot at first but after a few days, I started to build my flow and noticed early positive results. Just a few more questions and should be ready for the practice exams. I expect to schedule the exam for in a few days.

By the way, any suggestion on using a kneeboard for the iPad vs a window mount?
My take on it is that the kneeboard is great for the private phase, however, when on Instrument phase and beyond, I feel if the iPad is on the kneeboard, it takes away from the line of sight and create unwanted airplane movements (having to turn head down then back up) vs if mounted on window, the line of sight may be maintained because only the eyes need to shift to the iPad.

1 Like

Washington,

Glad to hear you’re off to such a great start!

The way you organize yourself in the cockpit is up to you. Many people don’t mind looking down to their knee. It’s tricky at first but becomes just another skill you master in the instrument phase. If you know that won’t work for you, check out yoke mounts or the window mounts.

The only concern I have with the window mounts is that it partially blocks the view out the window for traffic avoidance. Might want to check with ATP admin to make sure those window mounts are approved for use.

Hannah

1 Like

Washington,

I am glad to hear that it is going so well and that you are enjoying the program. You are starting at a great time, fall and winter should provide some great flying weather.

Thank you for the update.

Chris

1 Like

Washington,

Awesome news on the PAR! Glad that the tips and provided tools were successful for you and you got that out of the way. I think getting the written completed ASAP with successful scores is so much off your shoulders Day 1.

I wouldn’t advise a window mount as you want to be able to look outside and see-and-avoid, I like the RAM Yoke Mount as I tried the kneeboard method and personally found it challenging.

Brady

1 Like