Languages

Are all pilots bilingual? And if so, how many languages should I learn?

Anatha,

The only language you need to speak to be a pilot is English. The only pilots that need to be bilingual are those who speak a language other than English. English is the official language of ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) which governs commercial aviation worldwide.

The only need you’ll ever have for learning other languages as a pilot to make it easier to order food when you go out in foreign countries.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks, Adam! This was very helpful :slight_smile:

Anatha,

As long as you work for a US based airline, the only language you will need to know, or be authorized to speak, is English.

Chris

Thanks, Chris! So this wouldn’t apply to being an international pilot—which is what interests me.

Anatha,

A few points to clarify here. It is very difficult for US citizens to get jobs flying overseas, especially in Europe. Generally one has to be a citizen of the country in question (or at least of the EU) and have European pilot’s licenses, which are very different than US licenses. In other words, do not plan on getting a job in Europe. There are some middle eastern countries that will hire US pilots as will some Asian countries, but be prepared to be dropped as soon as they are able to hire their own citizens.

If you do manage to get a job in a foreign country, you would be expected to speak the host country language and English.

Chris

Thank you Chris for clarifying. This is why I’m already studying multiple languages and keeping my eye out for other international pilots who can give me advice from their experiences.

So, this means that everyone here is strictly national? That’s interesting. I didn’t know it was that big of a difference. Thank you anyways! Ill look into Europe. Going there is on my bucket list anyway :wink:

Anatha,

Just to clarify are you looking to fly internationally OR fly for a foreign carrier? Many pilots in the US fly internationally and again there’s no language requirement other than English. Now if you want to fly for say Lufthansa then yes speaking German would probably come in handy.

Adam