Life Couldn't Keep Me Down (Introduction)

Good morning, AP.L admin and members!

My name’s Nate, and a few days ago I put down the commitment to join ATP Orlando’s flight training center as a Fast Track (Private Credit) student. In the process, I was advised to poke my nose in here and say “hi,” so here we go!

I’m 29 years old, and my flight story (and career path overall) has been one heck of a tale. I’ll provide it below for those interested in the “history,” but please don’t feel obligated to read it–I get that it’s long. I provided a TL;DR in case you’d like to just skim!

Anyway, I’m excited to get started/get back into the cockpit, and I look forward to interacting with all of you.

• Nate

The (Long, Boring) History:
TL;DR: Started flight training at a “flight university” in 2012. Forced to stop in 2014. Started again in 2018. Forced to stop in 2019. Decided to reconsider, then discovered ATP and resumed as of the time of this posting. Whee!

So, my career has been all over the place. I’m hoping that my story will inspire people who’ve had a rough road of getting into the aviation industry. When I left a [troubled] home at 18, I enlisted in the United States Air Force, with the intent of later doing OTS and ending up a commissioned officer. As part of an OTS/AFROTC partnership program, I was sent to a “prestigious flight university” (that I won’t name out of respect for the quality education I received there) to complete a Meteorology and Aeronautical Engineering dual major. Halfway through that program the USAF changed its mind and offered me a chance to begin flight training; I got halfway through my PPL when budget cuts caused the program I was on to be downsized. I was “below the line” so I was unceremoniously dropped. I finished my PPL at my own expense but stopped there to focus on finishing my degree.

Luckily, the glorious Financial Aid system compensated for my sudden lack of scholarship and stipend until my senior year, when my luck ran out and I was denied financial aid (read: loans) due to my family’s poverty and medical issues. I was forced to drop out where I was, and enter the workforce. I spent the next four years working in the Entertainment industry (where I had prior job experience) saving up money to go back to school. During that time I re-evaluated my career opportunities and decided that the “flying bug” was worth getting bitten by again. [It’s also worth mentioning that after 4 years of going cold turkey on senior-level Calculus and Physics, there was no way I was going to complete my engineering degree in any reasonable amount of time-- or money.] In 2018 I returned to said “flight university” since prior credit would accelerate the completion of an aviation degree. I began pursuing my IR until halfway through, where I was told that “due to a lack of resources at the CPL-SE and CPL-ME level,” my program was being put on hold. I realized that I couldn’t finish my flight program and degree by my required graduation date, so I dropped flight again and ground out the remainder of my degree… and proudly (yet unceremoniously) graduated, smack in the middle of COVID in May 2020.

This graduation time cost me a certificate that I was pursuing at the time, known as ADX, Aircraft Dispatcher. Due to FAA requirements for time in-classroom, COVID restrictions cost my entire graduating class their eligibility for the ADX, and none of us graduated with our “capstone certificate.”

So, I graduated with an Aeronautics degree (fancy), with no qualifications or certifications outside of my PPL.

I have since spent the last 10 months unemployed due to COVID (entertainment is dead and rotting). Another life re-evaluation, and after talking to tons of pilots, instructors, and flight schools, I decided that the timing is good for me to focus all my energy on gaining the qualifications my degree was originally intended to grant me: my R-ATP/ATP. Thus my enrollment in ATP Orlando.

Needless to say, after the horrendous past decade, I’m ready to move on and make my 30s what my 20s should have been: marginally successful.

Thanks for reading this (if you managed to stay awake), and I hope that upon completion of my ATP program my story will be an inspiration to anyone else who’s had one hell of a ride getting here.

3 Likes

Hi Nate and welcome,

Congrats on your decision to enroll with ATP. You’ve definitely had an interesting path. Success in ATPs program is actually very simple. Do the work and you’ll do well. The program has been proven well over 3 decades and has produced thousands of successful professional pilots.

You don’t mention when you’re starting but if you have some time it’s best served completing as many of the FAA writtens as you can. It’s not a requirement but it will definitely lighten the work load. Beyond that don’t forget to have fun.

This forum is packed with useful info and student experiences. Feel free to ask any and all questions as that’s why we’re here.

Adam

1 Like

I’m actually grateful for hitting my late 20s… I’ve got better time and task management now than I ever did as a private pilot student.

Oh, good catch. I start February 1st. I’ve previously taken the IRA, but that was beyond 2 years ago so I’m trying to schedule a retake prior to my check-in date. I’m also trying to get ahead on the CAX. All the other written content is new to me and will just have to be ground out, but I’m prepared for that workload.

Ha, this is where I throw out there the question everyone’s asking right now: “When do I start work?” But all jokes aside, I’m focused on nailing the program, and I’m super excited to hopefully become a CFI for ATP. I really love the idea of being an instructor (I was a trainer at unrelated previous employers, including one that features a cartoon mouse) so that’s exciting.

Go back to my first point. Work hard, be a good pilot and a good student and you’ll have a very good chance.

Adam

1 Like

Nathan,

Welcome to the forums and to ATP! Your story is unique and sounds like frustrating at many turns, hopefully this is the end of that. I am glad you are working on your written exams, even getting one done early will be a big help.

Please check in with us from time to time and let us know how we can help you along the way.

Chris

1 Like

Nathan,

Congratulations on enrollment into ATP, I think you made a very fine decision! Thank you for an insight on your story, we all have a story and it’s great to read each of them. Piggy-backing off of what Adam said about the writtens, they will be key prior to entry into FAA. I entered into the program having completed my PPL, and got all the other required writtens done before my start date, it helped tremendously!

The biggest thing like always is the amount of effort you put in will be the reward you get. Time flies through the program, I’m concluding (hopeful) this week as I have my last checkride and I wish I could go back to crew. Best of luck throughout the program and thank you again for your story.

Brady