LIFE Insurance Policy

My question is what insurance companies are best for LIFE insurance policy on private pilot’s? My policy is with state farm at $42 month for 250K for 30yr term and when we tried to get my husband a policy also, because he is attending ATP as private pilot the underwriter quote went from $83 month to over $400 a month. Flying is safer than driving so I do not understand this at all.

Who can share with me who they use and give examples please and thank you!

– a pilot’s wife –

Yes it may be safer, but because it is also more risky of a hobby/profession, life insurance will always be higher than that of a non pilot. The same goes for any profession or hobby that has some sort of risk factor associated with it.

Melissa,

You can shop around but the reality is while commercial flying is far safer than driving, general aviation is not and insurance companies don’t like it.

You can expect this to be an issue until he transitions to the airline’s. Then things will settle.

Adam

1 Like

Melissa,

I used Select Quote for my life insurance, and they sold me a policy through TransAmerica. Like Adam said though, expect higher rates or even aviation exclusions unit your husband gets into the airlines.

Chris

1 Like

You could try AOPA or EAA for the short term.

So now that my husband is CFI/CFII he was approved with a reasonable rate, just giving a follow up on my experience fs this help others. State Farm approved 250k 20term life at $58 a month now that he is not considered a "student pilot’, so his rate is just slightly higher than my own.

If/when he gets to the airlines it’ll drop even lower. GA is still considered “risky”.

Adam

1 Like