Lifetime Commitment

I recently completed one of the most important decisions of my life and chose ATP for flight training to start my flying career with a goal of flying professionally as an airline pilot. I’ll be starting in July this year with 0.9 flight hours but in the meantime I completed Private Elevate and passed the PAR. I’m currently 5 days into the Instrument Elevate and will take the IRA as soon as I’m confident I’ll pass. I have military obligations until July so I’m working around that schedule. Preparation by reading and viewing the G.I.S. videos while making notes have been critical to understanding the content and being able to discuss it during the ground phase.
I really do believe this is a license to learn. Aeronautical experience will further develop and refine these required skill sets. An excellent aviator isn’t trained, they have learned from their flying experiences. Pilot mentors are an incredible resource and I appreciate your commitment to supporting us. I look forward to hearing from everyone about their experiences good or bad always something to be learned. I’ll continue sharing mine as well.

Daniel,

Welcome to both ATP and the forum! I look forward to reading about your journey through aviation. Please post updates and feel free to ask us any questions that you may have.

Chris

Daniel,

Welcome onboard to the forum and ATP! Getting ahead of things as early on will set you up for easier success as it will allow you to fully focus on the flying while you’re in the program. Yes, the ground is just as important, but if you can get a head start it will relieve a lot of the workload allowing for better focus of the actual skill building, knowledge learning and more. I look forward to seeing your updates and journey through both ATP and pathway after.

Brady

Thanks Chris. Thanks Brady.
I’m retiring from the Navy in July and so I’m still working 10 hours a day Mon-Fri. My work life balance right now is really one sided. I have an amazing wife that supports me while I bury my nose in the books and study the materials ATP has available. I make a point to include her in my study plans 2 or 3 hours each day sometimes more on the weekends if we don’t have plans. It’s been working well because I’m not thinking about training unless I’m training and I’m not thinking about anything else while I’m training. I cut a 97% on the PAR about 2 weeks after completing the Private Elevate.
-Dan

Dan,

It sounds like you’re at a very busy but very exciting crossroads in your life. The end of one incredible chapter, thank you for your service, and the start of another. Having the support of your spouse is critical to your success in the program and in the early years of getting started in this career. It can be tough but I promise you it’s worth it.

Great job on the PAR! Your study strategy is clearly working. Keep it up and let us know when you start date approaches!

Hannah

Dan,

Great job on the PAR. Keep up that kind of work and you will do well!

Chris

Thank you Hannah. Thank you Chris. I’ve been working the overnight shift since January, long enough to forget what the sun feels like so I haven’t stopped by yet but it would be super cool to have an alumni chat with the group. I’m going to show face soon to see what’s what I just don’t want to be a distraction or show up and everyone’s out flying.

Dan

Dan,

I would definitely call ahead before going. Let me know when you start

Chris

Chris,
I’ll for sure call ahead before I go in. My first day will be July 22nd well into hurricane season. The mornings here are always good but the afternoon storms can be nasty.
Dan

Daniel,

Nice job on the PAR, sorry I’m a little late to the party. While the weather may seem daunting, it changes so fast that one minute you’ll be conducting a sim lesson, then out at the plane the next because it’s cleared up.

Brady