Logging hours

@dicianny congrats on the solo.
I understand you and your friend want to save money. That’s not what I was getting at. Let me help you understand what I was trying to get you to realize…neither of you will be logging SIC time. If you read 61.55(a) carefully, forget part (1) because (a) already doesn’t apply to what you’ll be doing. The first part of 61.55(a) says “…of an aircraft type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember…” you’ve already stated that a Cessna does not require two pilots. So, that’s good. But the next statement says “…or in operations requiring a second-in-command pilot…” That doesn’t apply to you either. “Operations” means part 91, 121 or 135. You two will be conducting your flights under part 91 operations. Part 91 operations does not require a second in command pilot, unless as previously stated, you are in and aircraft type certificated for more than one crewmember. Did the lightbulb come on this time? :blush: I want you to be able to use your resources to answer your own questions. You did a FABULOUS job, by the way. Just that last bit at the end got ya. That’s okay. The FARs are hard to read. I still struggle with it sometimes.

So, now you know about section 61.51. Hopefully you have a better understanding of what (and what NOT) you’re going to log. You just soloed today and that’s AWESOME! You have a couple more weeks until your check ride. Focus on your ride and keep up the good work!

Congrats Yuran! Nice job.

Adam

@Tory The lightbulb definitely came on haha I definitely learned something new and I’ll never forget 14 CFR 61.51 :joy: You’ve been awesome at helping me think through the problem and I definitely wanted to bring the resources I got to the table. Interpreting it is a odd since lawyers wrote it. Thanks again, Tory and I’ll see you in the skies! I have some preparing to do for the Oral exam and finishing up my solo requirements in the next week. Should be on a checkride by mid July-ish! Fingers crossed!

@Adam Thanks! I can’t wait to do this for a living!

Yuran

1 Like

Question: I have a friend who is a pilot and is more than happy to take me up and let me work on my hours. Do hours count if the person I’m flying with is not an instructor?

Do you already hold your PPL? I’m assuming the answer is no? If that’s the case then, no you can’t log any time what so ever. To log time you would need 1 or 2 things. Either be on a solo flight to log PIC time and Solo time, or 2 you can log Dual recieved while an instructor is with you which falls under 61.51(h). Or I guess the 3rd way, once you have your PPL then you can start logging PIC for the portion of flight you are the sole manipulator of the controls.

(h) Logging training time. (1) A person may log training time when that person receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device.

Aurora,

Since you say your friend is a pilot I’m going to assume you’re not? As Joshua said if they’re not a Flight Instructor and you’re not a pilot, no, you can’t log that time. More important why would you want to? Logging hours isn’t about counting ticks on the clock. If you want to be a pilot you need proper instruction. Flying isn’t driving and your friends are family can’t (and shouldn’t) just put you behind the wheel and let you take it for a spin.

Adam

1 Like

Aurora,

No, and I would be very cautious about learning from a pilot who is not a CFI. I am in no way diminishing your friend’s skills, but there is a big difference between a private pilot and a CFI. You could pick up some bad habits that might be hard to unlearn later.

Chris

1 Like

Adam,

Thank you for your response. I wasn’t sure if it would count or not. More for the fact that the friend has his own plane. So it would be cheaper to log hours with him than renting a plane. But your answer makes complete sense and I will just stick to the original plan!

Aurora

Chris,

Thank you kindly for your response. I was researching if those hours could be logged and couldn’t find much on the subject. I definitely don’t want bad habits! Fortunately, I just found out I actually have the income now to continue my lessons, so I don’t have to worry about that now! See you in the sky soon!

Aurora

That is great news. See you up there!