Look Ma! I got my picture in the paper!

This month’s ALPA (Airline Pilots Association) magazine featured the yearly airline profiles. For Hawaiian they had a picture of the Union leadership which includes yours truly (I’m the guy on the right who looks like security).

The profiles speak of the current status of the various carriers after surviving 2020. Some interesting reading.

https://www.alpa.org/en/about-alpa/our-pilot-groups/pilot-groups/hawaiian

Adam

5 Likes

Good read, and yeah you’re not kidding about looking like security lol. Adam, question…for those furloughed, will they be going through a quick re-training/sim etc? Just wondering what steps airlines will be taking when bringing back pilots after perhaps not being in the cockpit for over a year. Good news to hear that by late this year all should be back to work though…I’m sure all cannot wait to be back in the air!

Chase

Chase,

Actually the union just struck an agreement with the company and all the furloughs are back effective 3/2. While a few just need landing currency, the majority will require their yearly recurrent training which is 2 days of classroom and 3 days in the sim. There are also some who’ll be going to new equipment and will require an entire qualification program.

As you say all seem to be very happy to come back.

Adam

Chase,

It depends on how long the pilot was out for. I just came back after being out for a year. I went through a five day training program, which included a check ride on the last day. I now have to do two legs of actual flights with a check airman and then a line check.

Chris

That’s good news Adam! And congrats Chris! How was the training program? Any new or old nerves? Or just exciting to be back and enjoying the re-entry process?

Chase

Chase,

I will be honest, I was a bit nervous as it had been 18 months since my last check ride. It did all come back rather nicely though and the training program was well done. I am glad to be back in the saddle.

Chris

2 Likes