Love to become a CRJ9 pilot

Hello Guys,
Im Stephen Peacock and im currently in training for my private pilot license out of KGFL. I was wondering how long it would take to get to the appropriate certifications to become a regional pilot after I get my private completed. Thanks in advanced. Happy 4th

Stephen,

The answer to that question can vary considerably based on the path you take and where you do your training. You don’t say how long you’ve been working on your Private, how many hours you have or when you expect to finish?

If you continue to do your training locally, and train part-time, weekends etc as most recreational pilots do it could take you a while (if you complete your training at all). I’ve heard of many people taking up to 2yrs just to get their Private as training sporadically is incredibly inefficient.

If however you’re serious about becoming an airline pilot you should consider training at a full-time academy that was designed specifically to train pilots for the airlines. A school like ATP. At ATP you will earn ALL the licenses and ratings you need to fly for a Regional airline (Private, Commercial, IR, ME, CFI, CFII and MEI) in only 9mos (6mos if your have your Private). After that you’ll need the required 1500hrs of flight time which takes on average about 1.5yrs.

Short answer do your training right and you could be flying that CRJ900 in as little as 2yrs. Trying to piece it together could take your much longer if ever.

I strongly recommend you visit our FAQ section for the answers to many other common questions as well as ATPs website (ATPFLIGHTSCHOOL.COM).

Adam

I only have a hour of flight time with my local FBO. Should I consider stopping my training out here and apply to ATP? And yes im most serious about getting into regionals. Thanks bud

Stephen,
If you’re looking to become an airline pilot, then we suggest you research in to ATP flight school. It’s been training professional pilots for decades. Browse the website because it will answer a ton of your questions and then you can come to us with any specific questions you may still have. Long story short, if the airlines is the goal, you’re a US citizen and over 18 year old and can secure a first class medical you’re eligible to start with ATP. Its a fast track program that gets you from private to MEI in 7 months. After that, time building to 1500 hours can take a year to year and a half depending on how much you’re flying.
Local flight schools are not in the business of creating airline pilots. Typically they train "weekend warriors” and are equipped for the basic ratings. Even if they could get you all the way through you’re CFI, if will most likely take you much longer and with a huge ? On the cost. The more they fly you, the more they make from you. ATP cost is up front and you know exactly how much you will pay and how many hours you’ll have in your logbook when you complete the program.
-Hannah

Stephen,

If you’ve just got the hour and are ready to commit I would definitely recommend you turn your attention towards ATP. I’m sure the folks at your local flight school are great but in most cases they’re setup for recreational pilots and not those who want to go pro.

Do some reading as I said but again if your goal is to fly for an airline there’s really no better route than ATP.

Adam

Dont you have to have a co signer that has a perfect credit score? I already posess my class 3 medical

Stephen,

You are the one that needs to make this decision for yourself, but if it were me, I’d choose ATP unless I wasn’t sure if I wanted to make a career out of aviation. But if I was sure, I’d be all in.

Tory

Stephen,

If you are unable to get approved for the loan without a co-signer then yes you’ll need one, but by no means would I say that they’re credit needs to be perfect. Reach out to Kirk in Finance tomorrow to discuss.

You’ll need a 1st class medical to join ATP. It’s a requirement because ATP wants to ensure that every student will be able to possess a 1st class when they make it to the airlines.

Tory

What does a first class medical consist of? Can I get the first class even if I already been issued the 3ird class? Thanks bud

Stephen,

Yes you can get a First even if you have a Third and if you’re considering a career in aviation, and have any conditions you think might be an issue, you should.

The difference between a First and a Third class (beyond the duration they’re valid) is the requirements are higher. Vision and hearing must be greater and after 35 an EKG is required for a First Class.

Adam

Adam
Can you attend ATP flight school up to your commercial rating and not go to airlines. I wouldn’t mind just shooting for corporate pilot. Thanks bud

Stephen,

Of course you can. The program is called the Airline Career Pilot Program simply because that’s the goal of most of the people that do it (and it sounds good). Regardless of your goals, (airline, corporate, cargo, opening a flight school, etc) ALL pilots who get paid to fly require the same licenses and ratings. With that in mind, ATPs program is really the most effecting route to earning them.

Great question.

Adam

1 Like

Stephen,

Like Adam mentioned, yes you can. The best advantage that you would have as an ATP Flight School graduate is that ATP is well-known in the aviation community. Whether you fly airline or corporate, those that in the hiring departments know what type of pilots ATP produce. When you have on your resume that you graduated ATP Flight School on time and no checkride failures (that’s the goal), they know that you worked extremely hard and completed an accelerated program that is highly looked at.

Brady

Stephen.

Many people go to ATP and then chose to go the corporate route. The ratings and licenses are the same, it is what you do afterwards with them that differs. Good question.

Chris

Stephen,
You absolutely can. The program sets you up to get all the ratings you need to be successful and competitive. You would still do the same time building to 1500 hours because any of the big charter and corporate operators will still want you to be able to get your ATP with your initial type. Your path would be no different other than when you’re nearing 1500 hours, you send our your resume to 135 operators instead of 121.
I stumbled upon the 135 side because COVID gave me no choice. However, Im so thankful I got to see this side of things. Definitely could still have a wonderful career and great quality of life on this side.
-Hannah