March 2020 Schedule

In March I had 83 hours of pay and 18 days off. I did have some vacation pay in there, which contributed to the 83 hours.

1. Off
  2. Off
  3. RDU-EWR, EWR-MTJ
  4. MTJ-EWR
  5. Off
  6. Off
  7. Off
  8. Off
  9. Off
  10. EWR-AUS
  11. AUS-EWR, EWR-PBI
  12. PBI-ORD, ORD-MIA
  13. MIA-EWR
  14. Off
  15. Off
  16. Off
  17. EWR-YYZ
  18. YYZ-ORD, ORD-DFW
  19. DFW-EWR
  20. EWR-SRQ, SRQ-EWR
  21. EWR-TPA
  22. TPA-EWR
  23. Off
  24. Off
  25. Off
  26. Off
  27. Off
  28. Off
  29. Off
  30. Off
  31. Off
3 Likes

I saw this on the Internet, that pilots can pick up a trip outside of their domiciles apparently? Like, even if you’re based in New York, you can fly a trip out of Los Angeles or something? How does that work?

do you have training in los angeles?

Selvin,

Here’s a link to all of ATP’s locations:
https://atpflightschool.com/flight_schools/

Tory

What are the loads like when you fly? A friend that flies for a regional tells me that there never more than 10 passengers on a flight if that, I’m just curious about what your experience is.

Dan,

Depends on the airline. Some restrict it but others don’t.

Adam

1 Like

Al,

We’ve reduced our InterIsland flights significantly so the loads have actually been decent.

Adam

All of may flights have been cancelled for the month, so I cannot comment as to the loads.

Al

I flew a few days ago. One flight I had 6. Then 18.

Tory

What is the longest flight possible? Does it get boring?

Braden,

When I was on the A330 our longest flight was BOS - HNL (Boston to Honolulu). During the winter the flight can be close to 13hrs. While there’s plenty to keep you busy and we did get breaks, yes at times it can get a little boring. One of the reasons I don’t do those anymore.

Adam

Ok thank you

Braden,

Google says the longest commercial airline flight is 18 hours and 30 minutes, operated by Singapore Airlines from Singapore to Newark, NJ, 9,534 miles.

However, theoretically if you have aerial refueling capability and unlimited resources and no flight time restrictions the longest flight could go on indefinitely.

But practically speaking airline pilots are restricted to 8-9 hours of flying per day. Relief pilots on board allow for longer direct flights, but each pilot is still held to the same 8-9 hour restriction.

Tory

Alright thank you

I have never flown longer than ~4.5 hours. As human beings, we are always susceptible to boredom. There are plenty of ways to combat boredom. Rarely am I ever bored while flying. There is always something to do.

Tory

ok
thank you

Braden,

My longest flight was HKG-SFO, which was about twelve hours long. Yes, it got a bit boring, although I was asleep for five of those hours. I prefer the shorter flights, a nice EWR-SFO transcontinental flight is perfect for me.

Chris

Yea If I flew I would probably like shorter flights

Braden

Quick question on this. To combat boredom on those long flights can you read a book or stretch in the cockpit or any other activity? Surely you cannot use any personal device to read so it would have to be a paperback.

Matt

Matthew,

Most airline FOMs (Flight Ops Manuals) have some language stating pilots shouldn’t do anything that might distract them from their duties etc. That said on any flight over 8hrs you will have an RO (Relief Officer) which allows you to do anything from sleeping to stretching to watching movies. Also I’d be lying if I said I’ve never seen anyone break out a book and read. For myself I don’t strictly because reading actually puts me right out so that’s obviously not a good idea.

Adam