Real Answers from Real Pilots

March ‘21 Schedule: 4 Years at Horizon

If my math is right I should receive 78.85 credits for March. Had to call in sick after I received my first COVID Vax and then I called in fatigued at the end of the month. My sick time is not reflected in my totals above.

As of today, I completed my 4th year with Horizon! It’s hard to believe it’s already been 4. Even harder to believe I only started flying 7 years ago. With a family on the way I plan to stick around for a few more years. Working for Horizon has been a wonderful experience. I consider myself to be very lucky to have been hired when times were never better. I could not be luckier to be in my position, especially considering what thousands of airline pilots have had to endure this past year.

Have a wonderful Easter, everyone!

Tory

6 Likes

The time flies so fast. I am in fifteenth year of being an airline pilot. It feels like just yesterday that I was going my first solo.

5 Likes

Yes I definitely consider myself very fortunate all things considered during this past year. I started the exact same time as Chris (we actually interviewed together. I disliked him immediately :wink: ). Though we’ve taken different paths I think he’d agree it’s been a wonderful journey. Tempus fugit!

Adam

5 Likes

Hi Tony, congrats on achieving four years at Horizon. Just curious, is it typical for a regional airline to have both sick and fatigue days? If so, on average, how many sick and fatigue days do the airlines allow per year. Another question - when you request your vacation days, I assume this is done either the previous month or sooner? Is there a limit on how many vacation days you can take consecutively? Thanks!

At my airline, we accrue one sick day per month, so twelve per year. We do not have fatigue days. I have to say that in 16 years of flying, I have only called in fatigued once.

We bid vacation for the entire year in April. At my seniority I have five weeks of vacation now, it is in theory possible to take them all at once, but most people do not do so. Vacation is also bid in seniority order, so dont plan on having Christmas week off for some time.

Chris

1 Like

Ravi,

I’ll chime in while we’re waiting for Tory. The answer is no. Sick and fatigue days are very different. At most airlines you accrue sick hours every month which go into your “sick bank”. When you call in sick you get paid from that bank. There’s no limit to how often you can call in sick but if you run out of time in your bank you don’t get paid (also if it’s often you will get a call from the Chief Pilot). If you get an illness that will keep you out for a long period (usually over 3mos) you can get a sick leave at reduced pay.

Fatigue is something else. As a pilot it’s part of your responsibility to make sure you get sufficient rest. That said both the FAA and the airlines understand things happen and should you find yourself fatigued you obviously shouldn’t be flying. At most airlines if you call in fatigued the pay comes out of your sick bank unless you can show it was the company’s fault.

As for vacation at most airlines you bid for vacation for the next year. You can bid for as many consecutive days as you have available. Vacation is another item where seniority comes into play. Many pilots will bid for the same vacation days (holidays, spring break, etc) but only those senior enough will get them.

Adam

1 Like

Ravi,

Sorry for the delay. First time home owner with a prego wife. I wanted to wait to get to your question when I was able to reference our contract to give you the most accurate information.

No. It is not typical. Last month, however, my sick days were from my first COVID shot and I was required to call out sick because of the mandatory FAA 48 hour waiting period and I couldn’t get an appointment on my off days.

At my airline we accrue 3.0 hours of sick time every month while in Active Status. You can use as much sick time as you have in your bank, although not recommended that you drain your sick bank unless you don’t have a choice.

Adam explained fatigue well. That was the first time I had called in fatigued. We don’t get paid for calling in fatigued and the company is prohibited from taking punitive action. We are, however, required to submit a report explaining the events that lead to our fatigue.

At my airline vacation credits are accrued every pay period. Vacation bidding is conducted the year prior. You can use as much vacation as you have accrued. You have the option of bidding for an entire week or day-at-a-time. Another alternative is if you need to take a leave of absence. If you want to be paid for the leave, you can designate which bank(s) you want to be paid from.

Tory

1 Like