Maximize my 2 months before start date

Hi All-

I put down my deposit for a November start in Camarillo, and am now plunging into preparing for school. I’ll be moving cross-country, selling my house, and finishing up my employment in Boston, so my time will be somewhat constrained.

The heart of my question is essentially confined in the subject: What can I do to maximize my studying over the next two months to keep my timeline at ATP on track, and start off on the right foot in November? What was helpful for you all, and what would you not do over again given the opportunity?

I plan to have the King Private pilot modules out of the way within the next week, but am concerned the instrument learning might be more that I can realistically handle given that I have only a few hours of TT.

Thanks,
-Tom

Hi Tom,

I like your plan to complete the Kings School modules. I would also focus on getting as many written exams out of the way as possible.

Additionally, here’s an article with more information to help focus your attention on the big items. https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-does-an-atp-student-need-to-do-to-be-successful/10421

Tory

1 Like

Tom,

This subject comes up often. This section outlines everything that’s required: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/bring/items_for_acpp.html but we always recommend you complete as many of the writtens as possible REGARDLESS of your experience. The study materials are based on simple rote learning as the material really doesn’t follow any of ATPs curriculum.

Adam

2 Likes

Tom,

The absolute best thing that you can do is complete as many written exams as possible before you start the program. This will give you a huge jump start and will really decrease your stress in the program.

Chris

1 Like

Tom—
I signed up in June for an early September date. I have full time work and home life obligations as well, so I set aside 1-2 hours a day for studying for my writtens and modules in the Private Pilot portion of the intranet. Some days I got the time in and some days I couldn’t manage. In 2.5 months I knocked out all of the required writtens and the AGI/IGI, and finished 39 of 63 private pilot modules with required readings. It’s completely doable and will tremendously alleviate your stress during school, not having to study for your oral, worry about practical, and still having to take care of the written exam.
At the very least focus on the PAR, IRA/FII, and CAX. They build on each other’s information and two months should be manageable to get them done.

Best of luck to you!
SK

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Sergey-

I was wondering if it was “ok” to start working through the PPL modules in the ATP schedule as well as the King PPL… Any ATP instructors out there want to chime in?

Tom,

This is America and you can do as you like. I’d follow ATPs recommendations and complete what’s required. If you have then, AS ALWAYS, I’d rather see you get a jump on the FAA writtens. ALL of them.

Adam

Yep! Almost done with the King PPL, and will be definitely taking that before starting. I’ve got three weeks before I close on my house and move cross-country, so might have to take a little break given all the packing and driving involved, but will at least have the first written done.

Any suggestions for the second written to focus on, in order of importance?

Thanks,
-Tom

Tom,

I would take them in order. Instrument next.

Chris

wIll do!

Tom, I did work through a considerable amount of modules ahead of schedule, but I did so after or inbetween taking all of the writtens. I’d focus on the writtens first as other students have relayed how stressful it is to study for a checkride, the oral and the written at the same time. Also, be mindful that each module comes with suggested reading. I took my time with each source, because despite a lot of repetition in each source, there are nuggets of unique information that may help you be better prepared in each individual source. I for one know more than I care to about atmospheric stability :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I did PAR, CAX, FIA, AGI, IRA, FII, IGI and FOI in that order. My logic for the sequence was that CAX and FIA were going to build on and repeat some PAR themes. While the themes were similar, the sequence itself did very little to help with studying in my opinion.
I recommend taking AGI last as it had info from PAR, CAX and FOI plus rotorcraft and lighter-than-air questions. I took it “cold” after only studying for prior tests and missed 13 questions out of a 100.

Good Evening Adam

I want to start the studying for the all the writtens. How do I register to start studying? Reason I am asking on the ATP website there is a link to register for the Kings prep course-ware but I couldn’t get a temporary password because my cell number is not in ATP’s records. To get that sorted out do I have to call ATP and let them know I want to start knocking out all my writtens so that when I do register it will work the the next time?

Gaulda,

As long as you’ve signed up for the program, set a date and given your deposit, ATP will provide you with the log in info. Yes you would have to contact ATP Admin for that info.

Adam

Thanks Adam

Wow I just finished reading your bio and I used to work for Expressjet for 6 years majority of my time at XJET I was in MCC on both the CRJ/ERJ operations. I was based in Atlanta. Congratulations for making it to the majors. Just reading your bio has inspired me to call ATP first thing tomorrow and set up the intro flight, and all the works. Thanks again for your response.

Gaulda,

Thank you. If you were in ATL though you were ASA/Xjet. I was CoEx Xjt. Two VERY different airlines!

So you haven’t done an Intro flight yet? I wouldn’t worry about the writtens or even ponder another minute considering being a pilot until you’ve actually gone for a flight so I would get started on that. You may love it but you may not. Assuming you do there’s little point in studying for the writtens until you’re ready to sign up as all the writtens expire after 2yrs. That said Intro or not ATP will NOT provide you with hundreds of dollars in software prep until you’ve enrolled, secured financing, selected a start date and given a deposit.

Adam

1 Like

Yes I was ASA/XJET, the MCC department for CoXJT moved from IAH to ATL to work along side the CRJ MCC they sent me to training for the ERJ145 so that I could work on both sides of the operation. I had an intro flight 10 years ago so I know its time for me to get back into the flight deck. I am super excited to start this journey.

Yes I completely agree two completely different companies and dealing with the MTC union laws was a headache.